Mite? Treatment pregnant goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Emrcornerranch, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    I’ve been battling Shamrock’s hair loss around her eyes, dandruff, and a little baldness on the bridge of her muzzle for awhile. I thought it was a mineral issue. It gets better for maybe two weeks then comes on again, but never this bad. The past few days she’s shedding a lot of hair, lots of dandruff appears when I brush her, and the area around her eyes looks pink and angry. I got her to hold still while giving her a good brushing and noticed one eye was tearing.

We have elector psp and sevin dust on hand for chicken mites. First, do her eyes look like it’s a mite issue? Second, are either of these products effective and safe for pregnant does? Third, where do you apply? I’m guessing along the back, but my mom’s arguing that someone told her you just dust their butts (I think that’s more for chickens).

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    She did have a runny nose like two months ago, but that cleared up when we fixed the feeder so she couldn’t shove hay up her nose. Even wonder if her eyes might be caused by something similar because she can rub her eyes on the feeder when she goes to eat...so they also have a NEW feeder. She pulls hay from the other side of the fence. But that doesn’t explain the dandruff. And I’m new to farm animals, and we haven’t found a good goat vet here. The one main livestock place isn’t seeing new patients because of covid making everything such a juggling mess.

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would do injectable Ivomec.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I don't see angry crusty skin like Mites would cause. Im thinking she needs zinc? Might try zinc and then use olive oil around the eyes and ear tips.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Looks like mineral issue more so than mites.

I would give TruCare4 top dress mineral blend. This has a few other minerals in it to, I feel the work synergistically to fix situations like these the best.

I would use NuStock on the face where she has lost hair, it will kill mites on contact, and regrow hair.

If insides of ears are crusty, put VetRX in them. Putting VetRX down the topline will also help with mites.

MadHouse and Emrcornerranch like this.
  6. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    Thank you all! I’m going to look at the options and look at ordering them. Maybe Jeffers.com?

Her eyes did have a crusty, scabby look a few days ago but it has flaked off. I have never given the goats shots and don’t know if I can restrain the adults safely for it—know I will have to at some point. Can give them to chickens though! I don’t want to start with injectable ivermec if there’s another way to go about it that’s as effective for mites or, more importantly, if there’s something else wrong. She IS the goat that doesn’t like minerals unless I measure it out and mix with beet pulp and give by hand. If I treat for zinc, should I give her replamin gel plus or just zinc gel? And is truecare4 a mineral blend I can give just for her? I’ve been wondering about just giving her replamin gel plus once a month or every other week in addition to free choice minerals. Good thing the buck we bred her with (or more like she helped herself to) seems to be a sturdy guy and not as fussy body wise as her.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Replamin has a 1:1 copper to zinc ratio (poor) so it will only make zinc issues worse. There’s no zinc gel. Zinpro40 is powdered zinc, not a fan it just doesn’t do a good job. Zinc pills for humans work ok but slower. TruCare4 is a mineral top dressing, it’s a powder, and there’s a certain amount you need to give daily. Mixed with beet pulp works well. It truly works the best.

8. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    We will get that then! And I think I’ll look at getting nustock, vetrx, and put a little olive oil on her. Ok. Feel like I’m always panicking with the animals.

9. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    You can also mix NuStock with Vaseline to make it go farther and make it thicker. I like the results we’ve gotten from mixing the two!

10. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    Her eyes already look more normal today. Less red/pink. Gosh it’s such a privilege to even have such wonderful animals to worry about.

11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Sorry, I re-read this and see, VetRx doesn’t go in eyes but topically and for ears.

12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

What a wonderful thing to say. :hug:

13. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    I just love them so much. Leprechaun jumped the fence a few times, couldn’t figure out how at the time, and we needed to take two turkeys to the vet...so I put a halter and leash on him and sat in the backseat with him the whole ride! I think he loved it. He didn’t bark once!

14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same!
    I am so glad her eyes are already better looking!
    Fun ride with a goat! Did you get any odd looks on the road?

15. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    I think a lot of people thought he was a dog haha

16. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    Shamrock really likes the Trucare 4 mineral! It smells great, and makes me hungry. I really like that it comes with a scooper and tells you to give a goat half a scooper per day. It’s nice and easy. No mixing it with beer pulp and trying to get the ratio right for her to eat it, she just licks it out of my hand and wants more. Thank you for the recommendation. If she doesn’t come into heat in the next 5 days, I think she’s pregnant.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.