Mites - another new question last post

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 30, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd ask what you all think. Late tonight I was out with the goats, sat down and the twins came over to see me, and try to eat my clothes...as usual..haha...
    Well I was rubbing on them, and gave one a good scratch, and felt something down on his skin around his neck. I felt on both sides and it feels really scabby. Too dark to take a look.
    I felt the other one and can feel a tiny bit of scabs.

Think this could be mites? If so, what is the best way to treat it in goat kids? And if it is, should I treat everyone?

I haven't noticed anyone doing a lot of scratching, and everyone seems to be acting just fine.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Kid with scabby neck?

i'd delouse them, and use permectrin II mixed 50% with mineral oil and pour it down their backs. that's how I treated mites.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I just went through the whole mite issue...was a nightmare here for us! The only thing I finally got to work was Ivermectin pour on....what ever you use, you want to retreat.....I am thinking I retreated within 14 days and I also sevin dusted their legs as that is where my guys had them the worse......vet thinks we got them in a bale of hay or straw....make sure to treat bedding also! It is hard to break their life cycle......it took me a good 6 weeks to rid of them.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! I'll check ears too, if they are in the ears at all, I've read to use vet rx, does anyone know if Tractor Supply typically sells it? I'll check with our local feed store, but thought I'd ask just in case they don't have it for some reason. I do have baby oil too?

BTW, these kids are only 3 weeks old, so this would be safe treatment for them right?

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I forgot to ask, would seven dust be safe on them and could it help? I'll check them out after my appointment this morning. I don't have any ivermectin yet, but do have seven dust. Or until I can get the ivermectin would baby oil work? I've read that baby oil suffocates the mites.

6. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT

The sevin dust would most likely work for the mites - my 4 mo old pygmy (who's as big as a large cat and ~ 15lbs) was given .5 ml ivomec 1% inj orally and dusted with a livestock mite killer (found it at TSC, but must have been a random item as it was all by its lonesome on a shelf - cost about $6.50). I have to give her another round of ivomec today since her last worming was 10 days ago. But I did notice that after the ivomec and dust treatment the mites subsided quite a bit.

I've never heard of mineral oil on the skin, but it makes sense to me. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try!

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri

I don't know if it's the same for goats, but when ever our cats/dogs had mites we used olive oil for their ears, took a SWAB and dipped it the oil then smeared it on the infection.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much for the info! We have the seven dust so maybe we'll try it first, and see what happens? And if no change we'll use the ivermectin.

I was reading a site last night trying to get info on how to treat if that's what is going on, and it said to use the baby oil or the vet rx which I know many on this site have recommended for ear mites. I'd think that treatment would be as effective as it is in cats and dogs.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thought I'd post that I put Seven dust on the kids necks yesterday and baby oil w/aloe in their ears.

Anyone know how often I should do this? The boys neck is the roughest, can hardly feel anything on his sister. Their ears also look good, just a little bit of scab feeling things here and there.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Well, I am sure my twin goat kids have ear mites. Can I use baby oil daily to help get rid of them? Or should I just use Ivermectin? We don't have any, and not sure if the store near us has any of the smaller bottles in stock yet <all they had in stock was the great big bottles>.
    I used Seven dust on their necks the other day and baby oil in the ears.

Last night I used baby oil on their neck and ears, and figured if the baby oil works I could just stick with that? I think my husband said when he was a kid he treated his dads goats with baby oil.

How long should it take to see results?

Thanks for any help! It's been chaotic around here the past week, and this just adds to that! The kids are running and playing, and eating just fine, so you'd never guess they had something going on.