The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 goats (3 fainters, the rest ND or ND mix). I have vet confirmed mites (vet looked under the microscope and said “your goats have mites”) This explains many symptoms I haven’t been able to get cleared up. Anyway-last night I did the Sub-Q Ivermectin injections into everyone. A couple didn’t care. Everyone else acted like I was killing them. Obviously the Ivermectin hurts. Someone recommended Bimectin. Holy expensive! I’m willing to pay for it if it’s effective and doesn’t hurt. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any other recommendations? I can’t sulfur dip or topical because I’m in a frozen tundra right now.

·
14,760 Posts
We've dealt with mites off/on over the years. I don't like Ivermectin injectable for the same reason, it hurts.

We use Ivermectin Pour On and works just fine for us. I buy the Durvet brand from TSC, and dose 1cc per 20lbs. down the back every 7-10 days for 3 total treatments depending on severity (bad 7 not horrible 10), or if they are pregnant (10 days). Badly infected areas - you need to get those scabs off. Nustock is AWESOME for aiding in killing mites, loosening scabs and soothing skin. I apply daily until I see improvement then back off to every other day, more improvement I back off to every 3 days until hair is growing back.

I've also lathered in some Vaseline, then later in the day or next day I clean that off, it loosens the scabs and helps smother mites. I use a brush or comb and gently scrape the scabs off, then use the Nustock or I've even gotten some Dog Ear mite cream to rub on them.

Another alternative, and something I used for a buck who had them severely last year when we brought him home - I soaked his legs in warm permethrin water (use gloves), I used a scrub brush and gently scrubbed all affected areas getting the scabs off. Dried his legs, and waited a day to apply another topical like Nu stock.

For very mild cases, when I put the Ivermectin Pour On down the back, I also put a drop under each dew claw.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Ivomectrin pouron the blue liquid along the top line, at 1 cc per 22 lbs works too.
But for the worse cases giving Ivomec injectable SQ is the best start, to knock it down.

Also for the worse area's, you can put Ivomectrin pour on directly on those area's, after you scrape off the scabs.
Repeat in 2 weeks. 2 to 3 x depending on severity.

Nu-stock can be put directly on the bad area's. Go by instructions.

Ivomec injected SQ works great and yes, it stings. Some react more sever than others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts