Mites? Lice? Bugs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by New-goat-mom, Jan 3, 2018.

1. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    So I noticed Anabelle acting itchy and checked her. I found these THINGS on her. I am assuming they are on Eliza, too. Is there any chance a good dusting with DE will get rid of them? I really think she's pregnant so I don't want to use anything that could be harmful. I picked one off and it moved so I know it's not just dirt or something.

20180103_212118.jpg

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It's not mites - mites are not visible with the naked eye.

It's either lice of fleas. Probably lice - they just look a bit darker than the lice that my herd gets. (There are a few types)

Unfortunately DE won't cut it.

New-goat-mom likes this.

3. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks. Yeah, they are definitely not fleas...i fight those awful beasts with my dogs. I was afraid DE probably wouldn't. What would be safe in case she is, indeed, pregnant?

4. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    Looks like biting lice to me. I like using either a powder or a pour-on permethrin product...livestock dust or UltraBoss or something similar.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  5. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks. I will go look for some tomorrow. I feel just awful that they are there. Poor baby girl. Will these live on cats or poultry?

6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have and still do when needed, use a mixture of dawn (1/2 oz), 2 tbsp of 10 percent permithen, and 4-5 oz. Water. Shake up and apply to area infected and mostly from neck area down back bone to tail. It will migrate down on each side smothering pest. This has worked for me. It takes a 2-3 days.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Ugh. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year. yay...

I don't know what your bedding/stalling/barning situation is (and I'm not asking) But however you are sheltering, that needs to be part of the equation. I have dirt, covered with straw/wasted hay. So one thing I would do were this my issue is rake and dig that out, soak the stall/shelter area after it has been dug out with straight bleach or formalin, and re-bedded, even if I had to bed with something I do not currently have (like running to TSC for pine shavings)

Now, this won't take care of what is on the bodies. It will make the rest of her life with me easier. Like she does not have to deal with the infestation AND deal with the poisons being injected/ingested AND having to be reinfested when she lies down at night..

Can one of your handsome hunks of sons help clean out the shelter and disinfest?

P.S. I also can give a thumbs up for @TCOLVIN suggestion of the Dawn Dish Detergent.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The lice are species specific - they will not live on cats or poultry or humans.

toth boer goats and New-goat-mom like this.
  9. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you for the ideas everyone. I will, hopefully, have these awful things gone in a couple of days. I am just glad Anabelle is white. I don't know how you would see them on a dark haired goat. They are so tiny. I didn't see any on Eliza but I am going to treat her like they are there. I am glad they won't live on the other animals, at least. They all hang out together. Yup, @mariarose , the two middle ones are my goatie helpers. :) Thankfully I already had a ton of pine shavings.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My vet said ultra boss pour on is safe to use for preggo's.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  11. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you. I worry so much about chemicals around unborn babies, especially since goats are stil fairly new to me.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hear ya.

Yeah, I was concerned too.
    I had just bred the does and by their next heat cycle of not coming in, I knew they were preggo.
    Then noticed they were itching.
    Asked my vet and he said use Ultra boss, so I did.
    Hope it helps.

New-goat-mom and mariarose like this.
  13. cathy page

cathy page New Member

Nov 16, 2017
    that kind of lice will take a toll on her badly, I sugest seven dust now and after babys are born what works for me is pour on ivomec, 1 cc per 10 pounds

New-goat-mom likes this.
  14. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I use python dust when I see lice and then I dust again 4 days later. I've read that python dust is safe for pregnant and lactating animals. It would also be a good idea to treat their bedding as well. When I first noticed lice I looked into sevin dust but saw that it wasn't actually made for animals but for lawns and gardens. It might be safe to use on her bedding though

New-goat-mom and toth boer goats like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Deborah Haney.

New-goat-mom likes this.
  16. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks. I ended up getting the python dust when I went to get something. I was really afraid to use anything wet with our weather being so cold the past week or so. I sure hope it does the trick!

17. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Are they black bodied with a red head?

18. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    They appear to be just black. They are TINY.

19. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    Sounds like lice. Sulfer powder works well

20. New-goat-mom

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Really? I have never heard that. It sounds safer than most things.