The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Same thing, as mentioned....mange is caused by the sarcoptic mite. The mite burrows under the skin causing intense itching, an allergic reaction, which then causes crusting. This crusting can then become infected, causing it to scab, ooze and weep. In untreated animals it causes extreme hairloss and loss of condition, can even cause death.

Ivermectin treats it in goats....but these mites are not necessarily species specific and therefore other furred animals (cats and dogs for example) can get them from your goats...mange mites are HIGHLY infectious. Ivormectin is not safe in some dog breeds though so check with a vet if you need to treat other animals.

Bedding and environment should be treated too....permethrin powder is good for this.

·
Registered
538 Posts
can you have a herd of 5 goats with only one infected with mites or if only one if affected is it something else??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another question ... how do you know if its working? I have given two of the three injections but not seeing a huge improvement....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mites???

I am having a real problem with my goats. I have two black goats that have flaking skin really bad. One has a crusty, thick skinned udder. I took scrapings and hair to the vet, he couldn't find anything.GRRRRR

I bought some NuStock which has Sulfer in it. I'm going to put it on the two black goats and also inject them with some Ivomec tonight. Something is going on. My goats have minerals, copper bolus, BOSS and CALF Manna, good hay and plenty of Brouse and even some new wheat to eat. For sure, they are not malnourished.

Anyway, I sure hope I can figure this out.

DonnaBelle

·
Super Moderator
58,182 Posts
Yes, only one goat could have mites. It takes a long time to see improvement but it also depends on how severe the skin is from the mites.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Do I still stop at the third dose and wait it out then?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Nustock is supposed to be great on mites too. I thought I had mites but it wasn't, but I put some nustock on it anyway and the skin was back to normal within a week. I put some on my mares summer itch belly that she always gets, and it cleared that up too!

·
Registered
538 Posts
This are what my girls spots looked like. I have since gotten all the scabbie stuff off and the skin is fresher looking but still hairless.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts