The Goat Spot Forum banner

Mites

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ozarksvalley 
#1 ·
I was out trimming hooves yesterday and noticed one of my does has what I think is mites right below the dew claw area. Her hair is missing and it looks like dry skin and somewhat scaly. I have had a doe have this in the past and treated her by dipping her feet in bleach water and it cleared up.

My question is, now that it is cold I don't want to dip the does feet in water. I did spray some blue kote on it which says it treats fungus. Do you all have any other suggestions, or would it be safe to dip her feet?

Thanks

#2 ·
i dread finding these guys on my goats; so far, so good. i think they are worse in the winter?

anyway, mites are insects and not fungus, so blue coat won't do the deed. i say go ahead and dip in bleach solution. if they walked outside their feet would be wet, too. i think if it were me i would do everyone's feet, just in case they have begun to spread.

anyone out there with advice for treating premises? as my guys are busy wasting hay again, there is a build up. i would leave it for winter, but i do worry about mites/lice--winter troubles. what should i do? muck it all out about once/week, or let it go as a mat of about 4-6 inches deep? this is a concrete floor, so in some ways the 'insulation' of the hay is good.

#4 ·
Putting ACV in your goats water helps to keep the mites away, also spraying hte infected areas with ACV. One thing we found works GREAT for mites(we had a couple goats that had them this summer) is Tobacco tincture, we sprayed it on the affected areas and within a week the hair was starting to grow back.

#5 ·
7 Dust is all you need. It will clear them right up. But you have to remember that those little bigs will be every where your goats have been, so dust the bedding also.

#7 ·
I'll agree on using the Sevin dust. It works great. I too have noticed my girls doing some scratching, especially around their ears so I have used the shaker of dust in their bedding, as well as the boys. Dusting them is a bit more difficult now as they ALL have a heavy layer of fluff for the winter...looks like cotton against their skin!!!

#10 ·
I've used it on mine and they're preggy...no problems . Just watch their eyes and nose....and your nose too! Don't inhale! Try and get it close to them as you put in on so you don't make a dust cloud I use the shaker but put it close to there body and rub it in as I go. If you can chase them out of the barn while you dust their bedding it's even better then the "cloud" will settle before they can walk into it.

#11 ·
I'm not sure what sevin dust is but....
Diatomaceous Earth always works quickly and efficiently for me. I love it- they can eat it and it can naturally get rid of parasites. You can rub it directly one them... I have some info on it somewhere if you'd like it. It's completely natural.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.