Mites

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, Feb 12, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Just discovered a bad case of what looks like mites on the front legs of one of my bucks (crusty thick skin coming off with the hair, no sign of any sort of infection). I’m not sure how I missed it, but I feel awful it is this bad (have never dealt with them before).

I’ve picked a lot of the scabs off (as much as he would tolerate) and coated all the areas with NuStock. I’m having my husband pick up SQ ivermectin and plan on giving him 1 mL/40# body weight x 3 doses every 7 days. Do I need to do pour on ivermectin as well? Should I treat all the bucks?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Pour on usually works well for them.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I tried pour on with my buck with no results..injectable did the trick. You don't need both. treat only those with mites ;)

NDinKY likes this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys! I’m going to check all the bucks over closely to make sure no one else has them. I’ve got the injectable and will dose him tonight.

happybleats likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can use the pour on as well.
    Put it on, then again in 21 days.

NDinKY likes this.
  6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Tis' the season for mites. Ugh. Ivermectin Pour On works very well for mites. I do 1cc per 20lbs down the back. But I always add a little more to make sure they get the full dosage because sometimes I feel it doesn't always get absorbed well.
    I do it every 7 days. I also put some under each dew claw. The only exception is goats under 6 months, or early pregnancy does. I don't like to use extra on those.

Then I apply the Nu Stock to any affected area - that stuff is awesome. If they have it really bad, I mix the NuStock with Vaseline and coat their legs really well. I currently have 4 I am treating, 1 early bred doe, a 13mo doe, and 2 bucks. The bucks just started showing signs of mites.
    Usually I do the Nustock daily the first few days to keep a good layer on there, but the way the weather has been I haven't had time to do it more than every 3 days.

Another thing you can try unless he has a lot of open sores. Permethrin. Get some Permethrin, and mix it in a bucket of warm water. Glove up, and soak his legs in it, and rub it into any affected areas.
    Dry him off, and apply NuStock the next day. You can do this as well every 7-10 days depending on severity. I only use this method on really bad cases.

You can get Seven dust and dust his bedding as well. that is one thing I haven't done, and have been meaning to get.

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks Hoosier, that’s a lot of good information.

I gave him the SQ ivermectin tonight, hopefully that clears it up for the poor guy. I’ll give it two more times to complete the course of treatment and continue with NuStock. I may do the NuStock and Vaseline combination tomorrow.

Here are the pics (I’m almost too embarrassed to post them they look so bad). I’m not sure how I didn’t notice sooner since I’m with them daily and I’ve been spending extra time in with the bucks working with the dog. I swear they did not look like this last night.

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

After picking off scabs and applying NuStock.

60321312106__82FD4085-3267-4053-BD56-76A1338252A3.jpg

He’s got more scabs I need to pick off under his dew claws. He just seemed like he was in too much pain for me to continue today. Fortunately he’s eating, and otherwise acting normal. Tomorrow he’ll get a full body feel over to try and get any scabs off.

He is also my buck that failed to settle two does this winter (got one pregnant early on). In hindsight, were his scabby testicles my vet said were due to cold wether really mites? Did that affect his fertility this winter? I did treat his scrotum with NuStock back when he was scabby (November) and it appeared to get better. Maybe the mites have been there and subclinical until this point.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow he did get it bad. I almost wonder if it might have been a combination of mites and urine staining?
    I noticed one of our bucks has some hair loss starting on the back of his front leg that he pee's on the most, not sure his is mite related as much as it is urine scald.
    Either way, the NuStock should definitely help sooth the skin, if there are mites the sulfur should help smother/kill them. I like adding Vaseline, especially after the initial Nustock application because it helps sooth skin, but also for coverage like that, you go through a tube of Nustock really fast, so it kind of helps make it last longer IMO when applying. I've had good luck using it that way. It also will help loosen the scabs that are hard to get.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 and NDinKY like this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It probably is some urine scald too. He peed the hair off half of his face earlier in the winter so I was cleaning that and treating with NuStock until the hair started coming back. Of all my goats, he’s definitely been the highest maintenance. Good thing he’s so sweet.

I’m definitely going to mix the Vaseline with NuStock like you recommend. From a healing perspective, Vaseline is often underutilized.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

Glad he is being treated.

11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Got more scabs off tonight, as much as he would tolerate. Coated everything well with the NuStock/Vaseline mix. He’s got some secondary bacterial infection setting in (weepy/purulent areas) so I’m going to do a course of LA 200 as oxytetracycline should cover common skin organisms including staph.

I checked his entire body over and found some spots starting on his back legs. The scabs didn’t want to come off. I coated all of that in NuStock too. I didn’t find any other scabby areas, fortunately.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad you started antibiotics.
    Good call.

NDinKY likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Sheesh! Poor thing!! Everybody has got this covered but I like to add that some garlic (internally) 2 cloves daily for 3-5 days raw and preferably crushed, will give him a good immune boost and can fend off mites a bit!!

NDinKY and toth boer goats like this.
  14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll pick up some garlic tomorrow and see if I can get him to eat it. He pretty much hates me right now, between picking at his scabs and injecting him with stinging meds. I don’t blame him at all. And he’s being so good about letting me try to get everything cleaned up.

His skin is starting to look healthier now. The Vaseline really is helping loosen up the stubborn scabs, I’m hoping to have everything off tomorrow. The LA 200 seems to be working too, no more weeping or purulence. I’ll try to remember to get updated pics tomorrow.

SalteyLove likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Slowly his legs are looking better. Updated pics below. He does have some hard scabs on his hind legs I can’t seem to get to come off. I’ve been putting the NuStock and Vaseline on them too, but he’s so hairy I’m not sure I’m getting to the skin effectively. I may try and shave his hind legs.

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting that I see mud fever here, not mites and be careful with the sulfate ointments, they burn the crap out of my girls.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Sfgwife and GoofyGoat like this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good job, keep up the good work.

Putting Nu-stock on it every 3 days until the hair grows back, will be good.

19. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve dealt with mud fever in horses before, but not on goats. This guy’s hair and scabs were coming off in sheets, and did not remind me of mud fever as I’ve seen it present before.

I can switch the NuStock up with Corona ointment if that would be safer for his skin. If I need to get the vet involved I can. He does seem to be improving, but I don’t want to irritate his skin further. I’ll try to get a picture of the chunks that came off.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, use the Nu-stock only, that will smoother any mites and helps heal the skin.