The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm finally able to get some of the scabs off his back legs. They looked totally normal, but since I've been looking him over for scabs I felt them starting and have been trying to get them off since Thursday. Now it started coming off the back legs in sheets, like the front. That's how I missed the fronts; I look everyone over every day but don't feel each of their body parts. The hair obscured what was going on at the skin level.

It may very well be mud fever without the mites with as damp as the weather has been. I plan on continuing the NuStock every 3 days, using Vaseline for skin protection in between. No one else has shown any signs of mites.

Should I continue the ivermectin course? The next injection is due Wednesday. Tomorrow is the last day of LA 200.

Hind legs (he's all hutched up since I've been torturing him getting scabs off):

Wood Fawn Liver Flooring Dog breed

Wood Mammal Trunk Fawn Thigh

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, do another Ivomec injection.
It will help get anything left over.

glad you caught the back leg issue too, it isn't as bad looking as the front.

There is no need to put on the vaseline, the Nu-stock does all that.
I was putting the Vaseline on to keep his skin from drying out too much in between the NuStock days. Does this not help promote healing in goats?

The back legs are likely going to lose most of their hair from the hocks down, but the skin underneath looks better than the front legs did originally. I'll dose him again with the ivermectin on Wednesday. Last day of abx was today, no more signs of infection.

Are chamoise colored goats more sensitive skinned than other colors? I know in horses, chestnuts tend to have sensitive skin with issues, wasn't sure if that held true for goats.

·
14,802 Posts
Wow that is definitely weird. I've never seen it come off like that with mites. I'm thinking he must have something else going on, or mites and something else? Or maybe it's just something he's been dealing with for a long time.
I totally understand not seeing it right away. I haven't spent as much time with our bucks, my husband and son have been taking care of them. Does keep me busy when I am out there. However, I noticed the start of the mite issue when my husband was trimming feet. He tries to do a good job on their feet, but whew...lol. We have a doe that has mites really bad, but not seeing any real hair loss, except spots on her belly - a hard place to treat considering she has very long hair. It was a long afternoon trying to get her treated. She's 2 1/2 months pregnant, so I can't shave the hair on her belly a little shorter to make it easier to treat, it would stress her out too much.

When I use Vaseline I don't use it daily. probably 2x a week. I use it for the same thing, to sooth the skin, but it also aids in smothering the mites, and loosening the scabs.
Usually by the time I've treated again with the Vaseline mixture, you can't even tell there was ever any Vaseline on there, just the hints of NuStock that hasn't been worked loose.

If your boys legs are improving, then that is good and I'd keep up the treatment your doing with him.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
With it being so severe, I am thinking goathiker is right on it being mud fever (could be caused by mites or could have a different cause altogether).

They’re definitely improving, though I still have scabs on the right hind that don’t want to come off yet. I don’t want to force them off, but the Vaseline is helping soften them since I can’t easily soak him in the cold.

He wasn’t in the best shape when we picked him up this fall. Hadn’t been trimmed, no minerals. I’m thinking he probably had mites that I didn’t recognize as his scrotum had some scabs that responded to NuStock (vet had said it was likely the cool air). He’s my buck who failed to settle 2 does and I wonder if it is due to the loss of hair on his scrotum.

I also wonder if he’s zinc deficient. They’ve got sheep minerals with the zinpro added but maybe he needs more. I gave him MultiMin about a month ago.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
His legs are looking better. I think almost all the hair that is going to come off on the hinds has come off. I gave him the second dose of ivermectin and will finish the course with the last dose next week.

Human body Working animal Wood Fawn Snout

World Wood Trunk House Tints and shades

Camel Wood Working animal Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Same thing with Clyde but on his snout and behind his ears, so ill be doing pour on for him and then sprayin his area with perm

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
He wasn't in the best shape when we picked him up this fall. Hadn't been trimmed, no minerals. I'm thinking he probably had mites that I didn't recognize as his scrotum had some scabs that responded to NuStock (vet had said it was likely the cool air). He's my buck who failed to settle 2 does and I wonder if it is due to the loss of hair on his scrotum.

I also wonder if he's zinc deficient. They've got sheep minerals with the zinpro added but maybe he needs more. I gave him MultiMin about a month ago.
I didn't see this thread previously but I think you are on the right track here with the mineral deficiences compounding either the "mud fever" or mite infestation and infertility. You mentioned he has had Multimin90, loose sheep minerals, and ZinPro. Has he had copper bolus? His coat sure does look mineral deficient. I sure hope you have before and after photos to share from when you got him and then in 3 months! I bet he darkens right up when you've got him all straightened out.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
He was copper bolused when I got him in the fall, then again in December. With the MultiMin I was hesitant to bolus him again. I may bolus him again now that it has been a month since he got the MultiMin. The bucks are all going through minerals like crazy, I just don't want to overdo it with bolusing. I can bolus zinc if needed in the form of human tablets (have given him a couple of times).

He's looking better, his skin is so much calmer now on his legs. I'll get pics today to update. Got the last dose of ivermectin so hopefully the poor guy is done with mites if that is what was going on.

Here's a pic from when we first got him in the fall. The buck behind him I swear I cannot get caught up on copper based on his fishtail. He's a victim of my ignorance, we didn't know about copper bolusing or loose minerals until last spring.

View attachment 174193

Hopefully the picture works this time. I got a message saying I didn't have permission to view my own photo.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here are updated pics of his legs. I plan to continue with the NuStock every 3 days until his hair grows back. I feel like I should be buying stock in NuStock I'm going through so much.

Blue Felidae Wood Trunk Fawn

Blue Wood Fawn Tree Working animal

Working animal Pet supply Fawn Terrestrial animal Pack animal

He was looking for his animal crackers. I've been bribing him with them. His hair on his face is growing back from where he peed it off during rut.

Vertebrate Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

And here's the picture I tried attaching above. Maybe it will work this time. It's from when we first got him this fall.

Vertebrate Mammal Fence Goat Grass

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
He is going to be so handsome!

How many grams of copper are you give him and that other buck each time you bolus?

I would wait another month and see how he looks before giving it again. It's just not fast acting at all. It can take a whole year to correct a severe deficiency so keep working on the other buck. And solid red and solid light red/blond goats just seem to show it more than any other color.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I give each of them a 4 g bolus at a time, waiting at least a month in between doses. They each weigh about 100#. My other buck still has a bald tail tip, I’m starting to wonder if it will ever come in. I also separate the boluses from the MultiMin by at least a month.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
His legs are totally healed and the hair is coming back. This picture is from today. He wouldn't stand still for the pic, kept wanting to be petted. Hopefully I can catch this sooner and never have to deal with this again!

Fence Working animal Fawn Plant Grass

21 - 39 of 39 Posts