The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you guys are probably sick of my mite questions, but I really need some help, so thanks in advance.
So it started out that my goats were loosing hair and they still are but not near as much, and the one has very flaky skin all over and one has crusty ears and legs, and one has what looks like a mild case of dandruff, so I had the vet come out and take a look, he thought mites , but did a skin scraping but found nothing, but since then I have been treating them with pour on ivermectin for two weeks in case it was mites, so the one has basically stop loosing hair, but the other two still are. And Am i correct to say mites make them itchy more than lice, because they did have lice last summer and boy did they scratch, so if they did have mites they would be itchier, then when they had lice? They are not itchy at all that’s what has me confused. So my question is, the vets coming out next week to give them their cdt shots should I tell him to give them so ivermectin shots since pour on doesn’t always work? And if he does give them some ivermectin shot , how much do they scream and act like they’re dying after they get the ivermectin shot, because I can’t stand see my babies in pain . Thanks so much

·
Registered
30,001 Posts
Normally I find lice itches them more than mites do. I tried ivomec pour on for mites in my buck and had zero success. Injection ivomec is the only thing that worked. 1 ccper40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks. It does sting. My old guy never flinched but some can be dramatic so do expect a reaction.. it will pass..
Sounds like you may have a mineral issue as well..flaking skin can be low Zinc..copper. what loose minerals are they getting?. A picture will help us see what you see...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally I find lice itches them more than mites do. I tried ivomec pour on for mites in my buck and had zero success. Injection ivomec is the only thing that worked. 1 ccper40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks. It does sting. My old guy never flinched but some can be dramatic so do expect a reaction.. it will pass..
Sounds like you may have a mineral issue as well..flaking skin can be low Zinc..copper. what loose minerals are they getting?. A picture will help us see what you see...
They get wind and rain cattle mineral, but I just started giving minerals 2 months ago . The vet did give them some multi vitamin shots in case they were low on something. I'll get pics as soon as I can

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with happybleats above. I'm not familiar with the cattle mineral. I would get one specifically formulated for goats. There are several good ones on the market, I personally use Purina all stages goat mineral. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and give them a shot of ivomec (injection not pour on). Sometimes I also use Python dust. Change their bedding and treat that spot as well with the dust.

·
Registered
30,001 Posts
Maybe the vet gave Multimin90? Do you have a date when that was given? I do see one with angry looking skin that maybe mites. The ivomec injectable will take care of that. 1 cc per 40 pounds sub q once a week for 3 weeks. I also see dry flaky skin which can be zinc and or copper. Depending on what your vet gave and when will depend on if more is needed. The white fluff can be cashmere and they need a good brushing daily to help remove their winter coat. I also like to mix Flax seed and coconut oil and feed a tablespoon or two daily for several days to help add sheen to their coat. Flax and coconut oils are good food. I buy coldpress Flax and extra virgin coconut oil. Goats love it.
I know some on here use wind and rain minerals. I'm not sure how good it is. Sweet lix meat maker is a good one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay thanks I guess I’ll get the vet to give them the ivermectin shots do you have to treat their pen I clean out and put fresh two a week. If I need th treat their pen what do I use I don’t want to mess with DE so something that’s not going to hurt me or my goats.Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts