The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my goat a year ago, the farmer told me she is a full blooded Alpine (not registered). But recently another goat farmer, who came to my house, told me that she does not think my goat is a full Alpine because she is so small. She said if she had to guess, she believes my goat must be part Pygmy. I have attached some photos.. so what do you all think.. if you had to guess?
Also, her kid was born May 8th and as you can see, he (wethered) is already more than the 1/2 the size of her! I had her bred to a registered full Alpine. (she had a hard time delivering him.. it was good I was there because she would not have been able to deliver him without help)

I milk once a day.. and she gives me a quart every morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I would say that her size suggests a possible mix with a Nigerian Dwarf... if she is a FB Alpine though I'd say that she may have been stunted in growth early on causing her to be on the small side, since she is not registered and there is no real proof as to who/what her sire/dam are, then it's best to assume she is a mix. Very pretty lady too....and her kid is HUGE!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting! When I get her bred again in December, should I be looking for a Nigerian Dwarf.. or some other minature goat to breed her with instead of another Alpine? I am assuming her second pregnancy should be twins.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
With every pregnancy, you can get anything from 1-4 (or sometimes 5+). Doesn't matter if it is FF or not. So next year she could just as easily have one as multiples.

It would be easier on her if she were bred to a smaller buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts