Mixed Emotions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Yes

7.7%
  2. No

92.3%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have mixed emotions on selling bred does, but i have someone who'd like to buy a bred doe from me (who would be a first timer) I'd be fine BUT he has never bred any of his goats. So would you do it? And have him risk it with a FF? I'd feel HORRIBLE if anything would ever happen to her. Why would you or why not?

So, opinions again, please? Thanks!

2. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I guess I am not experienced enough to answer your poll, however, being a "first timer" with having goats, I always feel I can ask others for advice, read and of course find tons of info on sites like this. I am an animal lover, and have all sorts of animals, and would feel offended if that was the reason someone advertised animals for sale, and then decided not to sell to me. Just my personal opinion of course. :)

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have sold FF - however, I made the girls stay at the house until they freshened so that I knew everything was there. I talked to them about how I have rx meds on hand in case of an issue, I know the doe, I have the ability to be off of work and there with the doe, have been through it many times, and yada yada, and after talking with them - they were totally fine. I told the new owners that I would call when in labor and we were close so that if they wanted to come up they could and if they couldn't make it I was on the phone with them constantly and taking lots of pics.

I did this with 3 different does this year!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've never been in that position, so I'd just be able to give my opinion. IF I were to sell a FF adult doe, the person wanting her would be going through the same "screening" as the people that want my kids.....everyone has started somewhere and I would be sure to be their mentor when the time came, as well as make sure they had the education and the number of a good vet.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    This person wanted them to be born at his place...I believe :shrug:

turtlebutte goats: I am sorry if I had offended you but all I ment was if the goat had problems and the owner didn't go in or went in and didn't do something right. I'd be fine if Pygmies were the best kidders, but they aren't...I'd feel bad if something'd happen to her. She's such a sweet doe...

Liz: what do you do for you're screening?

6. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I would not sell a FF to a newbie for the simple fact that I have been through (and kinda am going through) that very thing. I'd rather learn on goats who have experience than one who doesn't. However, I would sell a FF to a newbie if I knew that that newbie has an outlet to get answers (like what you said, turtlebutte goats).

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would ...... :wink: ...............I would educate him/her ....and tell them to call... if the goat has any problems or they have any questions.......... most of us old timers..... didn't have someone ...with the knowledge of goats.....to talk us through ...we have learned by trial and error......................with the help of the goat spot and breeders with knowledge... such as yourself.... newbies.. have that help......We all have to start somewhere...and if the buyer wants and is willing to ask and learn .... then it is well worth ...selling goats to them.......we are here... to teach them and walk them through it.....even over the phone....then that person ...may be a teacher for his/her next buyer.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Rowdykids....my "screening" basically just consists of "reading" people. If they come to me with questions dealing with the care of goaties, thats a plus and they are open to input. If I encounter someone who is "matter of fact" and THINKS they know how a goat should be cared for but asks no questions on management, thats a red flag to me. In my experience, those are the ones that "impulse" buy and have put no thought into their future with goats.
    I have spoken to many over the years that just didn't feel right, and the one time I didn't go with my gut, I found later that they allowed the kids to starve.
    A newbie wanting to learn BEFORE they bring home a new kid couple and will ask questions as well as doing their own homework, I encourage any one who thinks they want goats to do the research on EVERYTHING dealing with goats.....including the time involved with making them happy and getting enjoyment from keeping them happy and healthy. Everyone starts somewhere...95% start at the beginning...I myself was raised with the larger dairy breeds and was knowledgeable with how they are kept, but even I have learned ALOT more since getting my first mini.

My goats are pets first, the breedings are a plus with the milk as well as sharing the love that goaties can provide to others with the babies, I don't treat them as livestock and I won't sell them to homes that will treat them any different that a loved dog or cat.

9. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    RowdyKidz

I was not offended at all!!! I was just trying to say that we all have to start from somewhere, and personally, I know I could do it as I am not afraid to ask, read and observe. I know there are several people in my position as well (who did not grow up caring for a certain type of animal) however, there are people as well I would not trust if I was in your shoes either. Again, just my opinion. You can read the potential purchasers better in person and make the decision from there.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You know, until you asked this, I'd never really thought about it. I then thought about through my sales to see if I'd sold a first freshener like that and I don't believe I have. I've had a few who I thought about selling after kidding but felt I needed to keep them to make sure they kidded ok.

I guess the best answer for your question is it depends. If the person is willing to learn and the goat is a really good size and weight then sure. But if the animal is smaller or you have any reason to doubt a good kidding or the person is completely new and not confident in handling it themselves then no. Hope this helps.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would and I did last year. On top of that she doe had triplets.

I look at it as we were all new at this. I would make sure they know I was there for them in case of anything, but i had my first got for a month, took her to the buck, and had our first baby in 5 months, so technically we were NEW to this, and she was a FF.

We all have to learn. Yes I would and did do a lot of screening and education.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I guess i feel that an experienced doe can (and some do) have just as many problems as a first freshener. As long as the people are willing and wanting to learn about the care and maintenance having goats i have sold FF to newbies. I also dont keep does that have problems. Once in awhile is ok, but if a doe continues to show problems from year to year she and her kids go. I work sixty + hours a week. I cant be there for every birth as much i would like to be. I want does you can and will kid on their own and can and know how to take care of their kids on their own.
    beth

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've sold bred FF's before and had them kid on the new owner's farms and they had no problems whatsoever. I gave them all the info I could and my number if they had any problems and everything worked out ok :)

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone! You all gave me excellent points and backed them up...so if Carrie doesn't sell, then I'll breed her in Febuary and offer her for sale as bred for 3 months, and if no takers she'll stay until after she kids! ;)

Thank you all again for reassuring me!