mixing alpine and saneen

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Jul 13, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    hello,
    is it good idea to breed an alpine doe with saneen buck.

thank you in advance

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've seen crosses, they're very nice.

3. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    what about milk production?

4. TexasRanger

TexasRanger New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Since both are dairy I would think milk production would be good/high. I know very little about dairy breeds, but they have been bred specifically for that purpose, so I think it wouldn't affect that. How is the doe's udder? Can you post pics of it?

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have one but cannot attest to her milk production yet. Her mother is full alpine and gives a gallon a day, at least. Her father is a full Saanen from good lines. I have high hopes for the little gal-she won't be the "scapegoat" in my herd of Nigis long!!!! One person on here said to expect at least a gallon from here, on first freshening! I can't wait!

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    My folks had one alpine/saanen doe a few years back, she only stayed 'till she was a yearling as they went to raising just American Saanens, but she didn't milk to bad. It just depends on genetics as was previously stated. Most of the Saanen crosses i've seen tend to be Saanen looking. I think this doe had black hairs around her eyes-but looked Saanen for the most part.

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My Saanen/alpine looks JUST like a Saanen, completely white.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I would expect her to milk well. Many lines are inbred and an outcross can bring out hybrid vigor if both lines are good. I crossed my gallon+/day LaManchas to a 1-2 gall/day line of Fr Alpines. I have 4 doelings and am eager to see how they milk next yr.