The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want my future replacement does to be half Spanish half fainting. So should I get Spanish does and breed to a myotonic buck, or get myotonic does and breed to a spanish buck? I plan on breeding their kids to a fullblood boer buck. Would this be a hardy breed?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i dont think it matters much genetics wise. but which is cheaper myotonic does or spanish does? 1 buck of either would be cheaper. what is more readily available? and yes i think the cross with the boer would make them hardy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is hard to find Spanish or myotonic does, so I don't know which to look for. I was told by a guy that had some myotonic does that he wouldn't sell them to me if I was breeding them to a Spanish buck, because fainting goats are too small for a spanish buck. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
as long as the does are wide ib the hips and pins they shouldnt have a problem, but if he wont sell them i guess you need to look for Spanish. will the guy sell you a myotonic buck?

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
It depends on the herd source. We have very nice heritage Spanish in this area that milk almost well enough to add to your dairy herd.
Now if it was me...I would buy Boer does and cross a Spanish buck on them. Then I would buy a few more unrelated Boer does and cross a Fainter buck on them. Keep the doelings from the Spanish group and the best bucklings from the Fainter group. That way you keep some size to your animals and better milking ability comes from body mass and feed conversion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya but the problem is I don't want 2 bucks for such a small herd. I can only have 6 does and I already have two that are mostly boer. Any other suggestions ?

·
2,203 Posts
I would breed a myotonic buck over the Spanish does. Your F1 generation will be better off for the does because of the smaller kid(s). I also feel as if the Spanish would keep more influence for meat quality.

This is what I would do.
Spanish does, myotonic buck.
Breed F1 and F1 or F2 if you have one.

You're aiming for a smaller dual purpose I assume?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts