The Goat Spot Forum banner

Mixing Minerals

1261 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  fishin816
Right now I am using Onyx, the goats LOVE it and are eating a lot. I would like to see higher selenium in it though, and SweetLix has that. If I mix those 2 together, would the selenium and copper add up? Or would it be like mixing water and water? I also have access to MannaPro, is MannaPro better than Sweetlix? Which would be a better brand to mix with the previous minerals? Or does it even benefit them if two mineral brands are mixed, with different analysis? They also carry the 40lb bags of MannaPro there as well, so that would be easier than ordering the SweetLix.

Thanks!

Cade
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Not sure about the mixing, but I've examined the content in Sweetlix and Manna Pro. Sweetlix is higher in copper but not by much and they are similar in selenium content too. From what my vet and I could tell there isn't a huge difference between the two.

I just like to use Sweetlix mostly because for whatever reason the goats like that more than the manna pro. I can't blame them though. I think Manna pro smells funky. :p I still end up using mostly Manna pro. It's hard to get Sweetlix around here.
That's weird, my goats LOVE MannaPro! They would pick the over anything.

So does anybody know about mixing it?
That's funny, my goats absolutely L O V E MannaPro! They would choose that over any other mineral.

Anybody think it'd be good to mix the brands?
Mixing it won't cause any issues. :thumb:
I know it won't hurt them, but does it benefit them in any way?
You would have to try it and find out. What works for one person doesn't work for another. So I guess experiment for several weeks and see.
If I mix those 2 together, would the selenium and copper add up?
No. For every pound of a lower anything that you mix with a higher anything you are reducing the higher to the lower. For example - If you are mixing oats (protein content of 11%) and a 16% pelleted feed, you are reducing the protein content of the pelleted feed by 5%/pound. Mineral is formulated to be fed at a certain amount/a certain number of pounds to deliver the items listed in the analysis - if you mix different mineral you are reducing the higher amounts of one due to the lower amounts of the other.
^^^Though any lower you mix with a higher will increase the level. I am more a glass is half full kinda person :) hehe. See if you cant locate a cow premix. These will always have a much higher selenium and copper level. 185 ppm selenium and 3000 ppm would be a good premix.
It would balance them out though - you would get mid levels of both, instead of one high and one low. I might have to try that! My goats LOOOVE kelp meal but it's expensive and not well balanced, and they're not fond of the Sweetlix. Wonder if it would taste better laced with kelp? :)
^^^Though any lower you mix with a higher will increase the level. I am more a glass is half full kinda person :) hehe. See if you cant locate a cow premix. These will always have a much higher selenium and copper level. 185 ppm selenium and 3000 ppm would be a good premix.
Right now we are using Right Now Onyx, which is a beef cow mineral. Its got copper of 2500ppm and selenium of 25ppm, and thats all we can find. And thats all i'm gonna get cause of its high copper, but i just dont know about the selenium...... Is it too low?
You can always supplement and give BoSe shots.
Ya its low. Can do as Karen suggested. Thats about the only other way...
Has anyone ever heard of Seleno? It's supposed to be organic selenium. Could I give that to them instead of a BoSe shot? Dave, I can't get that mineral you have, considering it has no vitamins, what is that mineral called?
Its a special mix from a feed store in Oregon that they have made, so not likely to find its match unless you get a vet to prescribe you a mix and then have a feed milk mix it up for you. Now the organic selenium is very potent stuff. Because of the refining process its much easier for the body to absorb organic selenium vs the selenium that you find in nearly all mineral mixes. I do not know what kinda ppm you would need but its much less. So that would be outstanding to add to a low selenium mix. Do a little research or maybe chat with your vet and see what is suggested. If you can find how much to add per bag, you could make an ideal mix.
Its a special mix from a feed store in Oregon that they have made, so not likely to find its match unless you get a vet to prescribe you a mix and then have a feed milk mix it up for you. Now the organic selenium is very potent stuff. Because of the refining process its much easier for the body to absorb organic selenium vs the selenium that you find in nearly all mineral mixes. I do not know what kinda ppm you would need but its much less. So that would be outstanding to add to a low selenium mix. Do a little research or maybe chat with your vet and see what is suggested. If you can find how much to add per bag, you could make an ideal mix.
So Seleno would be better than selenium in a regular mineral? I wouldn't be giving it to them in their minerals, just give if to them 3 times a year probably. Our area is deficent in selenium, so I think that would work well for us.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.