The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you mix your minerals ? Whether it’s completely mixed together or one kind on one side of the mineral feeders and the other kind on the other side? I usually get Purina wind and rain cattle but found a Purina goat mineral today. I bought both in anticipation of mixing them as one had higher zinc but the other higher selenium etc. Anyone have any experiences mixing? Also any experiences with the purina goat mineral ? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try putting them side by side to start. I personally don't mix minerals but do mix in kelp with my mineral.
That's exactly what I did. I actually have an extra mineral feeder so I put the second one up next to the other one. I filled one entirely with the cattle purina and the second one entirely with the goat purina. They all took a really good munch on the new one. Anxious to see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Last time I bought minerals I got the beef weathershed from southern states. I still had most of a bag of the Purina wind rain and storm beef. For purposes of using up the wind rain and storm minerals I’ve been mixing them with the southern states ones since they have a similar profile (both beef).

I did also start leaving out southern states sheep minerals with added zinpro. That is separate from the beef so if they need more zinc they can go for that one, and if they need more copper they go for the beef.

So far it works well. My bucks are much more aggressive at consuming the minerals. When the temps drop they go for the sheep more, otherwise they prefer the beef. My does don’t consume near the minerals that the bucks do, but do favor the sheep when the temp drops.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I bought minerals I got the beef weathershed from southern states. I still had most of a bag of the Purina wind rain and storm beef. For purposes of using up the wind rain and storm minerals I've been mixing them with the southern states ones since they have a similar profile (both beef).

I did also start leaving out southern states sheep minerals with added zinpro. That is separate from the beef so if they need more zinc they can go for that one, and if they need more copper they go for the beef.

So far it works well. My bucks are much more aggressive at consuming the minerals. When the temps drop they go for the sheep more, otherwise they prefer the beef. My does don't consume near the minerals that the bucks do, but do favor the sheep when the temp drops.
Interesting! Thanks for your experience. I have noticed that the girls have LOVED the goat minerals. Watching them on the camera the last 32 or so hours they have been munching a lot. My girls all love their minerals as it is but this has been much more than usual. They are clearly lacking in something! Already loving the idea of having both for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts