The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to mix my own feed for my herd of Fainters and ND’s. I do not milk or show. I have more wether’s than anything else. I have heard terrible stories about urinary calculi so I’m doing everything to avoid that. My herd gets grain when they are on the stand getting hooves trimmed and as an occasional treat (aka bribe). I’m still learning about Ca to Ph ratio so this is where I need advice. It has been recommended to me to use:
50# Rolled oats
50# Barley
50# Rice Bran (something used mostly in the equine world-I have a goat who has skin problems and this has helped him A LOT so I need to keep this in my mix)
25# BOSS
Is this a good recipe? Thanks

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
It's best not to feed wethers grain at all. Might try alfalfa pellets for treats and when on the stand.
A quality grass hay and alfalfa source along with quality loose minerals is good.
Learning the ca: phos ratio can be a brain killer..I know it was for me. I have an article on this on my website
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
There is also a few feed mix recipes on there

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Try this instead
100 lbs whole oats
50 lbs rolled barley
50 lbs stabilized calcium corrected rice bran
150 lbs sun dried pure alfalfa pellets
50 lbs beet pulp pellets

This is balanced...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
Try this instead
100 lbs whole oats
50 lbs rolled barley
50 lbs beet pulp pellets

This is balanced...
Do you have the exact calcium to phosphorus ratio of this calculated?

What is the individual calcium to phosphorus of rice bran? And what does calcium corrected mean?

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
You can't calculate the exact of any crop unless you are right there to test the field, know the farm's spraying schedule, and the ripening process of the area.
If the individual ingredients run true then this will be between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1 ratio. It should be around 12 to 14 percent protein.
Calcium corrected rice bran is rice bran with added calcium carbonate.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
You can't calculate the exact of any crop unless you are right there to test the field, know the farm's spraying schedule, and the ripening process of the area.
If the individual ingredients run true then this will be between 2 to 1 and 3 to 1 ratio. It should be around 12 to 14 percent protein.
Calcium corrected rice bran is rice bran with added calcium carbonate.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. They do get alfalfa hay along with brome and other grass hay. Would you still recommend the alfalfa pellets since they get alfalfa hay?

Try this instead
100 lbs whole oats
50 lbs rolled barley
50 lbs beet pulp pellets

This is balanced...

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Yes, because you're already diluting the calcium from the alfalfa you will still need to balance the grain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts