Mixing your own goat food and beet pulp.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mariella, Oct 20, 2020.

1. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    So I keep trying to mix my own goat food but I feel like I keep failing.
    Currently, I'm feeding some kind of seed, I don't remember what it was all I know is my mother bought it in bulk, I sprout it and let it grow for 3 days and then mix it with beet pulp, BOSS, and they get free choice alfalfa pellet (They don't really eat much of it anymore)
    I mix it 2 cups sprouted seed, 1 cup beet pulp, 1/4 cup BOSS
    They are also getting Free choice Sweetlix meat maker and sea minerals.
    They are still thinner than I like and I want to get them FAT! They can only free-range when I'm home to watch them but they are getting Bermuda hay and fresh grass, I know they need brows as well.

Does anyone know where to get bulk beet pulp? I've been looking but haven't found anything yet.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. Never seen it in bulk.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I’m not sure where to get it bulk.
    With your girls and their diet I would try adding in a protein supplement. The easiest way IMO is protein tubs or pails. I love those suckers! It’s added protein (usually it’s 16%) and once it’s introduced you can leave it out free choice so they can pick and choose when they need it. I’m not sure about the sprouts, but the beat pulp, BOSS and the Bermuda hay, none of that is really overly high in protein. The hay is 8-10%, the beat pulp is 9% and I forget what the BOSS is but it’s pretty low but high in fat.
    If you would rather something to add to your grain mix calf manna is high in protein, it is a little pricey but a little goes a long ways.
    The other 2 things I swear by for putting on weight is showbloom (very expensive even giving the small amount that is recommended) and Dyne (kinda a pain to give unless you’re goats are not like mine and you can just mix it is). But personally I would start with the protein tubs and or the calf manna first ;)

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I can't find any field peas in my area but I have been wanting to add that to the mix. I did just bought them a protein block that they seem to like and it's not to expensive.
    None of them are scary thin just a little thin and I just got their parisite loads down so I know it will take a while to gain that weight back. They are eating a lot of pecans and acorns that are falling from the trees right now and that seems to be helping but they won't last forever.

AndersonRanch likes this.
  6. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I want to add peas to my kids diet too and can’t find any :/ I noticed a lot of the show people with chunky goats has that added in. It seems I’m always too late to get “in” on stuff like that.
    I hope you find bulk on those SBP though!

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    here are a few mixes I have used before I started keeping to non GMO . Mix number one I got the best results from. These blends run about 14-16% protein. If I have a thin goat on these mixes, I add fat. Olive oil is good food and healthy fat. I ended up doing mix #3 until the barley was junk. Today we feed 6 parts whole oats and one part BOSS. My goats do well on this even in milk. Best wishes

Mix Number 1
    • 6 parts whole oats
    • 2 parts Calf manna
    • 2 parts BOSS ( black oil sunflower seeds)
    • 1 part beet pulp shreds
    Mix well and service one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa source

Mix Number 2
    • 4 parts whole oats
    • 2 parts Barley
    • 1 part split peas
    • 1 part BOSS
    Mix well and serve one part mix and 3 part alfalfa source

Mix number 3
    • 3 parts whole oats
    • 3 parts barley
    • 1 part BOSS
    mix well and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa source

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I have to ask.... why do you want your goats fat? To me over conditioned is not a good thing. It causes problems in everyone.

goatblessings and AndersonRanch like this.
  9. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I don't mean fat like over conditioned i kinda just mean fatter then they are now. I have a critique thread posted with then in it. The only one that NEEDS weight is Sunny but she doesn't eat without the other girls. I still don't feel like they are the right weight.
    It could just be my nerves because I used to have really skinny goats that were never healthy, but I would really like to see a bit of fat reserves on them. I know goats put on fat on the inside first so I don't want them to fat.

Sfgwife likes this.
  10. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Our local farm store has it, Southern States. A lot of people use it for horses. I get a 50 lb bag and it lasts quite a while.

11. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ah ok. Cause i was shakin my noggin at the fat part. Lol.

12. ksalvagno

You can buy a truck load of it? I've only seen it sold in 50 lb bags.

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Do be careful about adding too much beet pulp - it can cause scours. I would Use one of the tried and true mixes above with the correct calicium to phosphorous ratios. I don't mix my own - I go to folk who have been producing quality feed for decades. If I need a bit of added fat I will use beet pulp in moderation, boss again in moderation or bran pellets. Not a ton. Keeps mine fat and healthy.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, not sure what you mean?

15. ksalvagno

You mentioned your local farm store has it. The OP is asking if anyone is able to buy it in bulk. I personally only know of buying it in 50 lb bags.

toth boer goats likes this.