The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I bred a Nubian with a boer. Then took that baby and bred it with LaManchas would I get a baby goat that is tall, well muscled and with a laid back personality and floppy ears?
Want to make a real good pulling goat to use or sell kind of a new breed.

·
The goat saleswoman & encyclopedia
21 Posts
You'd get a big beefy, heavy goat with elf ears. Nubians and Boers are not the preferred 'working' breeds. Boers tend to be lazy and stubborn, and Nubians often have the same reputation...although I'd use a Nubian myself...you just need to know how to work with them. And Lamanchas are either sweet and docile, or they are ornrey (sorry, lamancha people...).

You might try a Saanen or Sable cross for tall. You'd need Nubian or Boer for floppy ears...although a 1/2 cross would give you airplane ears instead. Cute...but definitely not floppy. 3/4 cross would give you more Boer or Nubian disposition...

Most packgoat people prefer upright eared breeds to use as 'working goats'. Alpines, Oberhasli (although those are small), Toggenburgs (you have to be ok with a very independant goat for this breed though), Saanen or Sable.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
You'd get a big beefy, heavy goat with elf ears. Nubians and Boers are not the preferred 'working' breeds. Boers tend to be lazy and stubborn, and Nubians often have the same reputation...although I'd use a Nubian myself...you just need to know how to work with them. And Lamanchas are either sweet and docile, or they are ornrey (sorry, lamancha people...).

You might try a Saanen or Sable cross for tall. You'd need Nubian or Boer for floppy ears...although a 1/2 cross would give you airplane ears instead. Cute...but definitely not floppy. 3/4 cross would give you more Boer or Nubian disposition...

Most packgoat people prefer upright eared breeds to use as 'working goats'. Alpines, Oberhasli (although those are small), Toggenburgs (you have to be ok with a very independant goat for this breed though), Saanen or Sable.
Can I ask how long you have been doing pack goats? I would tend to agree with your assessment from my own experience with Boers and Nubians, and I am just curious. Although I have no experience with LaMancha's, I know a few people who have them and their ears tend to be pretty highly heritable from what they have said.

PS Welcome to The Goat Spot! :) I love your avatar, too!

·
The goat saleswoman & encyclopedia
21 Posts
I don't pack myself, although I do like to take my dairy does for hikes (hence my comment that I'd use a Nubian). But...as my description states...I'm one of those nutso folks who learns almost everything pertaining to goats, even if I'm not actually in that field (since 1997). I also was in a 4-H club with some avid packgoat members, and read up a bit.

And as Zebradreams07 has learned, I know far more about goat genetics and bloodlines (and still learning) than anyone with any sanity should. I have a collection of about 2000 historical goat photos from the early 1900's on, and have a working knowledge of most of the dairy breed bloodlines. So I know the body type of most of the breeds.

I have also owned most of the common goat breeds. And I agree with the pack people that most Boers are not a good working animal...even bottleraised, friendly ones. I would use a Nubian over a Togg, Alpine, and maybe a Saanen though...but that is just me...

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Yeah, I've got a few Nubian does out here and they just don't do the manhandling or forcing thing. Ginger doesn't have a problem in the world with headbutting me if I infringe on her personal space, and Splash either braces her legs and fights me or outsmarts me. :laugh: It took me a while to figure it out, but I did. I can usually talk them into or out of most things, but I know better than to try to force them into anything. I don't know that I would agree with your assessment of being nutso or your comment about learning about goat genetics and bloodlines and the resulting sanity issues, but then again, I tend to support what works, and I can't see a thing wrong with it myself! :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm interested in similar info. By the end of next spring/early summer I should have 1 Nigerian dwarf buck, 2 LaMancha/Nubian cross bucks and hopefully 1 Nubian doe, 1 toggenburg doe, and 1 Boer doe. Maybe 1 or 2 more purebred bucks. I would love to see photos and info of your goats if they breed before mine do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.