Modesto Feed - Organic feed option?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jan 19, 2021.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hi all! Saw this horse feed and sparked a thought, could it be used on goats?

It is organic and wheat free which is an option that a lot of us like...

Organic Sun-dried Alfalfa Pellets, Organic Oats,whole, Organic Coconut Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Monocalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Carrot Pellets, Organic Sunflower Seeds,whole, Magnesium Oxide, Salt, Diatomaceous Earth, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Organic Kelp,dried, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast, Organic Flavors(Garlic, Thyme, Anise Oil, Cinnamon, bark, Celyon, Anise, Rosemary Oil), Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Crude Protein Min. 15.0 %
    Crude Fat Min. 11.3 %
    Crude Fiber Max. 11.0 %
    Ash Max. 18.4 %
    Calcium Min. 2.5 %
    Calcium Max. 3.5 %
    Phosphorus Min. 1.30 %
    Salt Min. .83 %
    Salt Max. 1.03 %
    Copper Min. 210 ppm
    Selenium Min. 2.1 ppm
    Selenium Max. 2.7 ppm
    Zinc Min. 834 ppm
    Vitamin A Min. 23,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E Min. 300 IU/lb

Personally I would not give this to male goats but I am thinking for does. Imagine it may be fed alongside other supplements in a complete feed ration, maybe some more alfalfa, etc.

I just need to know - safe?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think it should be safe.

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I think it is safe too, but the fat content is quite a bit higher than most goat feeds. Typically bagged feeds are like 3-4% fat for goats, I wonder if their guts would process 11% well.

4. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Is that the Horse Supplement Pellets?
    I have Horse Supplement Pellets and the Horse Senior Pellets for my goats. I only feed it to thin milkers. The Supplement Pellets are more expensive and come in 25 lb bags but do have the better stuff in them. I haven't had them long, 3 months maybe, and have been giving the milkers 1/2 c to 1 c a day of the Horse Supplement Pellets.

One little milker gets them both free choice for about 10 minutes at morning and evening milkings. She eats around 1 to 2 c of the Horse Senior Pellets and maybe at the most 1/2 c of the Supplement Pellets if she even touches them. For some reason she doesn't like the supplement pellets. Neither does one of my older does which I thought it could help her to gain weight. The Supplement Pellets are easy to break and more dusty. Maybe from the coconut.

But I think they smell great and the other milkers think they taste great! lol. They go crazy for them. If you want to try them out I'd only get one bag to start with.

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Super helpful.

Thank you to all.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes, that is why it would just be used as an addition to a mix. :)

GodsGarden and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Modesto Milling has a goat option. Is there a reason you're interested in the horse one over the goat?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    For me:
    The goat one has soy. Then the dairy ones have corn and wheat as first ingredients. Corn and wheat are more 'empty' calories for goats in my opinion. And they don't even have sunflower seeds or Barley. And Barley has more B vitamins in it if I'm remembering correctly because it needs a heavier B rich soil to grow.

The horse ones seems to have more mineral rich ingredients. Flaxseed, coconut. I don't like all the ingredients and I would choose some different ones over some but I haven't found the 'perfect' organic goat feed yet, lol.

Iluvlilly! and Coffee&Chickens like this.
  9. Coffee&Chickens

Coffee&Chickens Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2021
    Central Illinois
    Have you considered the Scratch & Peck Organic Goat Feed?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Because this is the only one that is wheat free.

Iluvlilly! and Coffee&Chickens like this.