molar problems??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cute kids, Oct 22, 2007.

1. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    i have a small four month old doeling. new to me. i have noticed right away that when she chews her food or cud the sound of her chewing, the molars grinding, is louder than when any of my others do the same things. she is really small. was a triplet, is thin compared to my others. otherwise she is energetic and eats fine, normal elimination. is it ok that this happens or does she maybe have a molar misalignment or something that is causing her some feeding problems that contribute to her slow growth and thinness? no way i can see those teeth by myself. wondering if i should take her over to the vet to check her. i just don't hear grinding when the others chew; with her, it is noticeable.
    any thoughts/exerience??

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Usually they grind their teeth in pain. She could have a belly ache from cocci or even a worm load. Have you checked a fecal on her. They do not have to have soft poop to have cocci and she is at an age where she is vulanrable to it and if she is small she may have had it for awhile.

3. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    no, this is not grinding her teeth, but just the sound as she chews her cud or her food/hay/grain. there is just more of a sound when she chews than when the others do. i am looking for cocci, though, with the thinness. she is full of energy, etc, shows no evidence of being sick, except for the low growth/weight. i also wonder if she maybe just hasn't been getting as much food as she wants/needs being small and vulnerable to being pushed away by others. mine have NO table manners, and i expect it was no different where she came from.....they eat like porkers, even make SOUNDS like them when they eat!!!! :lol:

4. Chaty

Chaty Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    If its bothering you I would go with my gut instinct and take her in to have her teeth checked to ease your mind. It dont sound like she is in pain but unless you can get something in her nouth to check them yourself then take her in. It could be a broken tooth and irratiting her mouth or out of place.

5. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    she is eating so well, i decided to wait another day. i DID start her on coccidia treatment due to thinness; and i am giving her all the grain/goat feed she wants.
    i am more concerned today about her being new and small and my other guys being HORRID!!!! butt butt butt; the ng girls the worst!!! new one is only a month younger than my others, but much smaller. how long does this go on and any ideas as to how to smooth her entry into the group? she is totally sweet; has done nothing to offend anyone (except to BE!!); i i feed her seperately so there is no food aggression going on; plenty of room for everyone with the whole paddock and pasture available to them all.
    thanks for any advice. this is the first time anyone new has joined since the others got here in july.