The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How moldy does feed have to be in order for it to be hazardous to goats? I opened up a new bag and it has weird, grey dust stuff on some of them. Pics below of the feed and a side by side comparison of normal and moldy. There's no clumps or anything, just this grey stuff.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,603 Posts
any amount of mold is not good..I would return that bag of feed...it can most certainly cause illness...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the thing is we don't have any other feed and my dad buys the feed not me so I have no alternative. Do you think it is mold? Could be some dust, maybe? Thanks for the help!

Edit: I have no money, no drivers license, no car so I can't go get more. Feed alternatives, if there are such things?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,603 Posts
Yes, a new bag is a good idea...I would not feed that to the goats..even picking out the ones that don't look moldy can still have mold spores on it..
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
83,113 Posts
Never feed mold, even if you think it looks like very little, it can kill your goats.

That is definitely mold there, bad too. Have your dad return it. If the feed store has more bags available for sale, I would insist on the feed store, open the bag before he leaves, to ensure there is no mold in that one as well.

I had a bad bag one time that was moldy, took it back. Bought another, went home, it too was bad, so the next visit, we insisted on them opening the bags up. Well come to find out, the whole pallet they had was bad, so we had to wait for the next shipment, or get a different grain all together.

Don't risk feeding mold to your goats. :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,944 Posts
Well the thing is we don't have any other feed and my dad buys the feed not me so I have no alternative. Do you think it is mold? Could be some dust, maybe? Thanks for the help!
Yes, that is mold. I would not feed it to them, too much risk of illness and/or death.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
That is mold, as others have said. The dust you see are mold spores. No amount of mold is safe, polio is not an easy fix and can be fatal. To cure polio is very expensive and labor intensive, much more expensive than a new bag of grain, which should be replaced for free anyway, and can leave an animal with permanant disabilities.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top