Mollasis Overdose

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have a doe in the kidding pen as she is on day 145 today. I have my supplies ready and down there just to be prepared. When I went down to check on her I found that she got to the bottle of mollasis and ate about the whole bottle. It must have fallen off the shelf when I closed the door. How she removed the lid is beyond me.
    My question is how concerned should I be? Will this much Mollasis be harmful to her being this close to deliver? What should I do?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tina

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh dear that I don't know!

I would watch her for thiamine deficency and it wouldn't hurt to give her some fortified B Complex just in case for the next week or so.

3. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Okay I have been told by another source that the worse thing that could happen would probably be a bad case of scours. Do you all agree? I probably have nothing to worry about right?
    Well thank goodness it was only molasses, I feel so bad because I caused this by my own stupidity. I do bet those babies are bouncin inside of momma's belly tonight after all that sugar.
    I am going down to check on her, although she seemed more than content when I last checked. :roll:

4. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks Stacey! I believe I may just do the Vit. B and maybe some probios too.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    diarreah - duh :doh: [the duh and doh is directed at myself not the posting asking questions] yah that would be something you will probably have to deal with.

probios would be a good thing as well. :D

6. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would make sure she had all the hay she wanted too. If she does get diarrhea you could maybe give her some pepto to slow it down.. Just my 2 cents!!

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

diareah will actually be a good thing. The faster you can get it out of her suystem the better. In fact i think if she were mine i would give her some mineral oil to help everything move a little quicker. Don;t give her any grain. Lots of hay. give the probios after you think the majority of the molasses is out and her poop firms up. This will get her rumen working normally again. a whole jar of molasses is a lot of sugar for one goat to digest.
    hope all is well in a few hours!
    beth

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My Dixie is doing fine this morning! I didn't give her any grain just lots of hay and some probios. Her poo is loose but not runny scours yet. I thought for sure there would be quite the mess in her pen but am really surprised as it is not real runny like I expected. I will withhold the grain till this evening and just continue to offer her hay all day.
    I thought maybe all that molasses would cause her to go into labor, but no "sugar babies" as of yet. I was thinking maybe I should give these babies "SUGAR" related names... :lol:
    Well I am quite relieved, she seems to be better than I thought after a whole jar of Molasses. And the odd thing is she was able to get that lid off. I myself find it hard to remove those lids at times. Well from now on if I can't get the lid off I will ask her to do it for me. :roll: It is amazing what they can do when they set there mind to it.
    But thanks so much for all the input, so far all seems okay, just wanted to update on how she is this morning and thank everyone for their help!!!
    Thanks,
    Tina

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that is good to hear.

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    Since this case of diarrhea is not a result of illness, but more a "functional" type - ie the body trying to get rid of something not good for it - I would tend to let nature take its course without meds. The whole point of the runs here is the system trying to purge itself which is a good thing. Plus a doe on the verge of kidding, maybe pepto not the best idea? Not that it would harm her in any way, I should think, but if the stool is not bad, if it were me I think I'd leave it alone. I might want to get some electrolytes into her though, as the scouring may leave her a bit dehyrated.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

make sure she is hydrated. sounds like she will be fine though. out of suriosity what breed is she?
    beth

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would also just keep a eye on her like the others said.
    Ok, how is she looking? Any babies yet?

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They certainly can be full of mischief....even when they are so close to being moms!!! I like the "sugar" theme for names...and hoping she is still doing fine.
    BTW....I was on your site, very nice set up, I noticed that your Dixie and my Binky have a relation! Dixies sire and Binkys dam share the same parents!! Wow, I hope you get some gorgeous kids as I suspect you will, Dixie is VERY pretty!

14. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Our Dixie is still doing fine today, I did give her some electrolytes to keep her from dehydrating. She did develop some diarrhea, but not as bad as I was expecting. I didn't give her any pepto and just left it take it course and this morning she had more doglike poo. So I guess it is starting to firm up some. I am hoping to see berry poo soon. But really other than that I see no ill affects from the molasses overdose.
    I decided to withhold the grain at both feedings yesterday but did offer her some this morning and she was happy to have it again. Today I am going to not give her any meds, no probios, no electrolytes and no Vit. B complex and see how she fairs.
    I think from all the signs she is showing me today that tonight may just be the night she has those "Sugar Babies" of hers. As much sugar as she had I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't come out dancing at this point. :lol:
    Everyone- Thanks again for all your suggestions and support it is so appreciated. I will be sure to update you all when kids arrive.
    Liz- That's cool that our girls are relatives! Yes Dixie is very special to us and always gives us the most precious, beautiful kids, with awesome dairy genetics that go back to some old time fabulous bloodlines. She is our oldest, our herd queen, and will be with us forever. We adore her!
    Thanks everyone I will keep you posted as kids arrive!!! :D If you have any suggestions for "SUGAR" realated names throw them my way...I may just stick with the "SUGAR" theme since this Molasses ordeal.
    Tina

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I just caught this thread. I can't wait to see the babies! Be sure and post LOTS of pics! I'm glad to hear she's doing good.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was wondering the same thing? Any News yet.?

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  18. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    just found this thread and I am excited to hear of kids....any kids yet??