The Goat Spot Forum banner
201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
Felidae Carnivore Dog breed Cat Whiskers

This is a picture of him as a yearling, he's 3 1/2 now. I don't have current pictures, though, his patterns are more pronounced now and he no longer has the baby appearance. Someday soon, maybe, I'll carry the laptop with me and try getting pictures. The tablet I once used for pictures no longer allows me to sign on to TGS since the change over. :(

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
View attachment 213470

This is a picture of him as a yearling, he's 3 1/2 now. I don't have current pictures, though, his patterns are more pronounced now and he no longer has the baby appearance. Someday soon, maybe, I'll carry the laptop with me and try getting pictures. The tablet I once used for pictures no longer allows me to sign on to TGS since the change over. :(
He's a handsome fella

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
Thought white, gold, and black would be!
White isn't counted as a separate color in a pinto. Only the colors of the darker spots are counted. Patchwork is white, black, mahogany and roan, with frosted ears. He is very unique with those multiple types of coloration. The breeder realized too late he had flashy colors developing, and since he's grown, a fairly decent confirmation. He was 3 (three) days old when purchased and I was clueless at the time how much potential he had as a sire. Now that he's matured and I've learned more, I can see he is something special for my own self. I would love him the same even if he hadn't developed into such a nice specimen of old style dairy Nigerian Dwarf. Just means he grew into an even nicer piece of wethered eye candy, than he was to me as a newborn.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
Oh I see! These confusing colors
They sure enough can be as confusing as all get out. Thing is, there have been times I've noticed the same coloration being categorized as a different color name in different breed types. Go figure. To complicate things even more, I had a buckskin kid that totally changed colors as an adolescent.

Dog breed Mammal Goat Plant Fawn Dog Carnivore Dog breed Road surface Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
Both June and Cookie's coloring would be considered "Buckskin with Extensive White Overlay".

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 · (Edited)
Both June and Cookie's coloring would be considered "Buckskin with Extensive White Overlay".

Yes someone else called them broken buckskin which I would have never thought of! To me that's not buckskin so... I wasn't sure but she's good with goats, trims hooves for me because I'm too much of a woos to try yet!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes, colors and patterns can be confusing. I am positive that the correct term/name for your two girls are Buckskins with Extensive White Overlay (or a Broken Buckskin - just depends on who you ask). I think you should read the the section about Buckskins in the link I posted above - great information!

Here's a key point from the link for your girls:
At times the goat can have so much white the buckskin pattern is almost hidden. Think of the white as "paint" thrown on top of the original color. Genetically the buckskin pattern is still there. However, it is just hidden by the white. You can sometimes see the bits and pieces of the cape, face stripes or leg stripes showing through.

Note: the pictures below are not mine, I just found them online.

Pay attention to the brown and black markings in the next few pictures, that's what makes them a Buckskin.

Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Liver

Plant Carnivore Tree Fawn Terrestrial animal

Eye Snow Terrestrial animal Livestock Working animal

See how they are all very similar?

The goat below has the same black and brown markings as the ones above, but in addition to that, she also has some white. This goat would be called "Buckskin with Random White".
Snow Goat Dog breed Goat-antelope Fawn

Do you still see the black and brown markings on this Buckskin? This goat would be called "Buckskin with Abundant White".
Grass Fawn Grassland Grazing Terrestrial animal

Both of these goats are also Buckskins, can you still see the black and brown markings on the kid?
Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Goat-antelope

Now look at your girls, can you see the black and brown Buckskin markings on them? When trying to determine the color/pattern of a goat, don't look at the white, just think of the white like someone spilled white paint on them. The color "underneath" the white is what you are really looking for to determine their name for their pattern. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think some just make stuff up when registering or as close to a pattern they can get!
That is very true. I have seen a lot of registration papers with color descriptions that were WAY off!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Okay, now don't read what I'm going to post down below until you have the "first lesson" on Buckskins down to a T! If you don't it will most likely throw you WAY off track! So study hard on they first post! And no, I'm not completely kidding!

They are many different color variations when it comes to Buckskins, one thing that they will ALWAYS have in common is their markings (whether it's covered by white or not).

Ok, in the picture below will notice that they are different shades of colors, but they important part is their distinct markings! Can you still see them?
Photograph Nature Organism Goat Adaptation
Carnivore Cat Felidae Whiskers Terrestrial animal

Hair Eye Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal

Okay, now the goats below are going to be different colors AND have roaning on their "cape" (the darker color), but can you still see the markings?
Dog breed Carnivore Plant Terrestrial animal Snout

Organism Adaptation Terrestrial animal Dog breed Snout

And just for fun, the pictures below are going to have moonspots! See if you can still identify the Buckskin markings!
Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal Liver Goat
Goat Dog breed Terrestrial animal Snout Working animal

I hope this hasn't been too confusing and that you now have a good idea on what makes a Buckskin, a Buckskin. I do have one more little "lesson" coming soon, it's going to be tricky! Maybe later tonight I'll post it....if not though, tomorrow!

201 - 220 of 257 Posts