The Goat Spot Forum banner
221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
You are just so helpful @Dandy Hill Farm. Look at all that trouble you've gone to 😘. I was just like, "I think it's called this but maybe I'm wrong." 😂
Aw, thanks! 😘 No trouble at all.....sometimes I do wonder if I'm being a little too helpful though...😬 I think you as well are very helpful! And the information you gave on moonspots was great! The only thing I would add is that moonspots also can't be black. 😉😁

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ok, I guess the last point on Buckskins I wanted to make is the fact of just how much white they can have. Even though the are covered in "white paint", genetically, the Buckskin gene (and markings are still there), but just covered up by white.

In this picture you can still clearly see the black and brown markings (black cape brown/tan body color).
Dog breed Grass Snout Goat Terrestrial animal

In this one you can see the black cape and lighter body markings. You are also able to see the a hint of the leg stripe and face stripe.
Dog breed Terrestrial animal Goat Grass Livestock

Here you can still see the black cape and stripes on front legs.
Goat Dog breed Terrestrial animal Livestock Goats

While this kids is nearly all white, you are still able to see the front leg stripes.
Grass Dog breed Terrestrial animal Plant Snout

All the pictures above, would be considered "Buckskin with Extensive White Overlay".

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@NigerianNewbie the link you posted does have some good information, but I feel it's outdated and some of the descriptions are miss leading. I also like when there are multiple pictures to go along with descriptions. Here's another good link: Coat Patterns

First off, I have never heard of using "Pinto" when describing the colors/patterns on a goat....just horses instead. Maybe awhile ago it was more commonly used, but as far as I know, it's not at all a very common term used with goats...just horses. The description they give for Pinto is also confusing, but I believe it means is when a "solid colored goat has a bunch of scattered/spotted white". Now, the term for that is "Black (or any solid color other than white) with Scattered White (or White Spotting)".

Both of your boys are very handsome! But I do have to "argue" that they both ARE Buckskins. Also, it's not too uncommon for their capes to fade as they mature. That is the same goat below in both pictures.

Carnivore Cat Felidae Whiskers Terrestrial animal
Organism Goat Fawn Working animal Terrestrial animal

I would call your boy with more white this "Buckskin with Roaning and Abundant White" and your darker boy "Buckskin with Roaning, Minimal White, and Frosted Ears and Nose".

I apologize @K.B. if you feel I took over your thread. Unless you guys have any questions, I'll try to keep quite about goat colors and patterns. Sorry! 😬🤐

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
@NigerianNewbie the link you posted does have some good information, but I feel it's outdated and some of the descriptions are miss leading. I also like when there are multiple pictures to go along with descriptions. Here's another good link: Coat Patterns

First off, I have never heard of using "Pinto" when describing the colors/patterns on a goat....just horses instead. Maybe awhile ago it was more commonly used, but as far as I know, it's not at all a very common term used with goats...just horses. The description they give for Pinto is also confusing, but I believe it means is when a "solid colored goat has a bunch of scattered/spotted white". Now, the term for that is "Black (or any solid color other than white) with Scattered White (or White Spotting)".

Both of your boys are very handsome! But I do have to "argue" that they both ARE Buckskins. Also, it's not too uncommon for their capes to fade as they mature. That is the same goat below in both pictures.

View attachment 213565 View attachment 213566

I would call your boy with more white this "Buckskin with Roaning and Abundant White" and your darker boy "Buckskin with Roaning, Minimal White, and Frosted Ears and Nose".

I apologize @K.B. if you feel I took over your thread. Unless you guys have any questions, I'll try to keep quite about goat colors and patterns. Sorry!
No it's great info you didn't overtake it lol .. it's one thing I need help on, as I'm just like Idk she's black and white and gold ....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No it's great info you didn't overtake it lol .. it's one thing I need help on, as I'm just like Idk she's black and white and gold ....
Oh, good - lol! 😅 Yes, I too found goat colors very confusing when I first started! After some research, it gets easier though. 😉😊

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,015 Posts
@Dandy Hill Farm Makes a little more sense, the majority of ND are buckskin of some description seems like. Thanks for the link on coat patterns, it was very informative. No disrespect intended, I sort of understand the color description you gave to Patchwork, but, I will continue to refer to him as a tri-colored pinto. Honestly, if I were to refer to him as Buckskin with Roaning and Abundant White, the general response would be, huh? Paint or Pinto, whether a horse or not, is easily understood as a white goat with spots by people unfamiliar with goat pattern terminology. Thank you for telling me what his color would have been for registration purposes, as I wouldn't have ever considered him to be a buckskin.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@Dandy Hill Farm Makes a little more sense, the majority of ND are buckskin of some description seems like.
Yes, buckskin is a pretty common pattern in NDs, but there are also many other patterns that they can have as well. I was just focusing on buckskins since you and @K.B. both have a few buckskins and where questioning what to call them. 😉
Thanks for the link on coat patterns, it was very informative.
No problem!
No disrespect intended, I sort of understand the color description you gave to Patchwork, but, I will continue to refer to him as a tri-colored pinto. Honestly, if I were to refer to him as Buckskin with Roaning and Abundant White, the general response would be, huh? Paint or Pinto, whether a horse or not, is easily understood as a white goat with spots by people unfamiliar with goat pattern terminology. Thank you for telling me what his color would have been for registration purposes, as I wouldn't have ever considered him to be a buckskin.
No disrespect was received. 😊 After all, Patchwork is YOUR goat and YOU get to decide what his coloring should be referred as. You're welcome!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yeah I've been into goats almost 3 years now, just never got into their colors and I'll have to start more because I'll be having my own registered kids so I'll need to work on it!
When in doubt, we've always here to help! Even when it comes to coat colors. 😁

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,050 Posts
Yes, colors and patterns can be confusing. I am positive that the correct term/name for your two girls are Buckskins with Extensive White Overlay (or a Broken Buckskin - just depends on who you ask). I think you should read the the section about Buckskins in the link I posted above - great information!

Here's a key point from the link for your girls:
At times the goat can have so much white the buckskin pattern is almost hidden. Think of the white as "paint" thrown on top of the original color. Genetically the buckskin pattern is still there. However, it is just hidden by the white. You can sometimes see the bits and pieces of the cape, face stripes or leg stripes showing through.

Note: the pictures below are not mine, I just found them online.

Pay attention to the brown and black markings in the next few pictures, that's what makes them a Buckskin.

View attachment 213518
View attachment 213519
View attachment 213520

See how they are all very similar?

The goat below has the same black and brown markings as the ones above, but in addition to that, she also has some white. This goat would be called "Buckskin with Random White".
View attachment 213521

Do you still see the black and brown markings on this Buckskin? This goat would be called "Buckskin with Abundant White".
View attachment 213522

Both of these goats are also Buckskins, can you still see the black and brown markings on the kid?
View attachment 213523

Now look at your girls, can you see the black and brown Buckskin markings on them? When trying to determine the color/pattern of a goat, don't look at the white, just think of the white like someone spilled white paint on them. The color "underneath" the white is what you are really looking for to determine their name for their pattern. Hope this helps!
I agree with Dandy on this. This is my buckskin doe @K.B.

Working animal Goat Grass Natural landscape Plant

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
All the kids are doing great I released them in with the other girls... all seemed to go well!
Molly has had a funny bowel movement now though. Getting fecal done asap but what should I do give her some probios?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sorry I don't have much advice, but I will say that it never hurts to give them some probios. I have even heard some people will give probios to their goat every day, it's just probiotics so it won't hurt. 😉

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I hope Molly starts feeling better soon!! And the herbal dewormer is a great idea.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts