The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Molly's herbal wormer? I kind of want to try it to my smallish herd. A lot of the testimonials say that it got their goats coat really nice and sleek and they looked really nice after it! So I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried it:)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I have. It is good, but I found Fir Meadow to be more effective, in my experience. :) I use DWorm A and GI Soother combined. My herd has never looked better. I have used it to treat coccidia as well.

Molly's herbal did me well for a year, but this year was a bad parasite year, and I needed something a little more potent. Fir Meadow's dewormer has more ingredients, the most important being cayenne, which is not present in Molly's. I'd also reccoment LOH dewormer (Land of Havilah). Both LOH and Fir Meadow have herbology degrees. :)

I do things as naturally as possible, so if you have any questions on dosing for herbal deworming, let me know. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use it, and it works pretty well. So far all of our goats fecal tests have come back clean while they've been on the wormer so it does it's job. Her horse version hasn't worked great on the horses though. I have not noticed any difference in their coats..

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How often do you dose?

·
11,082 Posts
I dose twice a week as I live in an area where parasites, especially cocci and barberpole, are a big problem. Soon as I rotate pastures, I'll be bumping down to once a week. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i have to make my own, used to base it on molly's, but now I've changed it to Land of Havilah goat wormer. i haven't had any issues since I've used it, and i live in the tropics where it's warm and moist all the time (i.e. parasite heaven)

·
375 Posts
I've been using it about once every three weeks. I live in a hot and very dry area where parasites are not much of a problem though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I use both Molly's and Fir Meadow depending on what we have going on. I also use garlic daily in the food (burps around here are excruciating after meal times). As for cayenne, I agree with Kat (Fir Meadow) that it's kind of a miracle herb. My uncle grows so many he doesn't know what to do with it so we're starting to feed it directly to our little herd. I have ACV/Caynne tincture I take for myself almost daily

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread anymore but one more question.
During the summer it is very hot and dry, and we have pretty harsh winters. During the fall and spring, it can get rainy. What would you guys suggest using, and how often? I am curious about the herbal wormers.

·
11,082 Posts
I would suggest Land of Havilah, or Fir Meadow, personally. :) You can probably go with once a week. I like adding fresh garlic to the dewormer as well.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I've been enjoying the Land of Havilah mix. I think it's really thorough, covers many basis of parasites, and what I like about it is they update the formula every once in a while due to feedback and their own experience with the current mix (they love feedback). their facebook group is also very helpful.

What I personally didn't like about the Mollys is the 2 formulas. it's a pain to keep track of, especially when keeping with the kid cocci prevention, which tend to be different than the adult schedule.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread anymore but one more question.
During the summer it is very hot and dry, and we have pretty harsh winters. During the fall and spring, it can get rainy. What would you guys suggest using, and how often? I am curious about the herbal wormers.
it depends on what herbal wormer you choose. most have to administer once a week then every 6-8 weeks do 3 days in a row. but it all depends on your situation. if you find that parasites are more a certain time of year, you can up the frequency of dosage to find what works best for you and your herd. the key too is get fecals done frequently so you know if there's anything in there you have to worry about.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We've been using Noromectin, it's the same as Ivomec (can't remember if it's ivomec or ivomec+) and I haven't wormed them in a few months.. Eyelids are all pink, gums are pink, poo looks good, coats and weight are good. (2 need copper and 2 need weight after nursing) so do you still need to dose if they aren't showing symptoms? It would seem like a bit of a pain to make sure they get wormed once a week.

·
11,082 Posts
Yep, they always get dewormed once a week. Herbs do not stay in the system as long as chemicals. I don't find it a pain at all. I mix their doses with molasses, and make them into cookies. They LOOOOVE them. Some people add the herbs to the minerals, or into the water buckets as a tea.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yes, every time. it's like taking vitamins, you have to do it frequently. 2 out of my 3 goats LOVE them. my one picky eater sometimes like them, and sometimes it's a fight to make her eat them. she loves fresh garlic though, so that's easy for me to give her.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So now what I'm hearing is that fir meadow is pretty good as well? Does it have a website or anything?
And I live in Michigan so the summers are usually pretty warm, where winters are also pretty chilly. How much would I have to dose then? :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts