The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My Nubian kidded today and had triplets. She acted normal at first, licking clean and everything. But now she won't let them get close, she even pushes them away and even bit one of them. I am not sure what is going on.

M husband had to hold her while I put the babies under her so they could feed, I was able to get all 3 fed, but she was not happy.

I need so me advise please.

Thanks,
Mary

·
Registered
813 Posts
Does she have sore teats - or is her udder too full. If so - warm towels and a little milking might help and then she would let the babies nurse. Check the babies teeth also. If one has a sharp tooth it could have hurt her and she doesn't want it there again. An emery board can smooth the tooth. Had that in a lamb once but never one of my goats. Good luck.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
Is she a FF? Has she ever raised her own kids before? Some dairy goats don't have the mother instinct as they come from places that always take the kids.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Is she a FF? Has she ever raised her own kids before? Some dairy goats don't have the mother instinct as they come from places that always take the kids.
My bottle raised FF was like this. The instinct was there for the cleaning but she wouldn't let baby nurse. She'd try and kick her away.

I tied her head and held her leg daily for a few days and she did figure it out.

I second that she's probably sore too.

·
Super Moderator
14,768 Posts
I had a FF Nubian like this too. I would just keep up the forcing and hopefully she is like mine was and realizes that, hey wow this nursing stuff sure makes me fell better. Mine took a little over a day before she finally got her act together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, my husband held her and we were able to have the babies to nurse last night. I did milk her to bottle feed them throughout the day today, but we will try to put them under her.

She is not a FF she raised a couple of does last time, no issue feeding when we got them (babies were about 2 months old), I have no idea if Piper (the mom) was bottle fed herself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No luck, she still mean to them and won't let them nurse. I tie her to the fence and hold one leg with one hand, while placing the kids under her. She complains and kicks and even tries to bite the other two when they get close. Very frustrating. I do that for all 3. At the end, I milk her and try to bottle feed them just to make sure they are getting enough milk.

I hope in the next day or two she "snaps" out of it.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I've never had a doe reject all of her kids. But I have had them reject one twin and I know how irritating and what a fight it is to get them latched and nursing on a grouchy doe. Just on my experience, if she is simply ignoring or stepping away from them, there is still hope she will take them back. But if she is acting violent to them (throwing kids with a head butt) then there is very little chance of her accepting them. Hopefully others have had a different experience!

Do you have a milking stand with a head stanchion? The kids can quickly learn to hustle over when you put her on the milking stand and that would be less wrestling for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for asking SalteyLove, today was a bit easier to put the babies under her, she didn't fight so much but she still does not allow them to come up to her and feed. I have to tie her and hold her back leg.
I hope with each day it gets better and hopefully she feeds them without my help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear you're dealing with this! Hubby and I had two FF last year and we had to tie them both and hold a back leg up every time the babies needed to nurse. We did this the entire time. :( When I started milking them, they got adjusted to me milking them and did good on the stand, but still would not let the babies nurse without us. Thankfully, this year, they actually took their babies. We had decided that they would not be keepers if we went through this again. I guess they like it here! LOL With your's it's odd she would take them last year and not this year. We were so tired last year. They were first goats for us and we bought them bred. Hubby would have been totally against my "wanting milk goats" if he only knew what was ahead for their first kiddings. I feel your pain and hope she gives in for you!!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Don't give up. The hard work is over. The doe will get used to the tying/holding and know she is not winning and you are the boss. I've had does that rejected one kid that would stop and let the kid nurse, without me holding them, as soon as I was in the barn with them. Then it would get where the doe would stand if she could see me. Then she just gave up and raised them. Also, rejected kids get really smart. They will start looking for you too and figure out other times where the doe is more likely to let them nurse. Some does are more stubborn than others though, so I don't want to tell you there is no point where you should throw in the towel. That's up to you.

I really don't know what causes this and I think there is likely more than one reason. A goat mentor friend of mine taught me that when newborn kids first start nursing it makes the doe produce oxytocin, which causes contractions, which can be kind of painful to the doe, so some does may associate the nursing with the painful contractions. My mentor recommended a shot of banamine soon after kidding. I like to wait for them to slip the placenta before I give the banamine though.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hope she snaps out of it.

I had the same problems with my first Nubian doe. She had two (early, very tiny) kids, cleaned the off and let them drink on day one. Next day, she wanted absolutely nothing to do with them and would basically attack. She had to be pretty much "goat-handled" to let them drink. After fighting with her for two weeks, I ended up bottle feeding the babies and she went down the road. (this plus other reasons, she wasn't called Goatzilla without reason.) It was very strange because the previous year she raised twins no problem.

Hope your gal pulls through for you though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. I am going through this right now with a Nubian doe, she had a little buck yesterday afternoon, she cleaned him up, encouraged him to stand, but then went to looking for another kid. The only way she lets him nurse is when we are standing next to the wall.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
A full tight udder, makes them hurt and not wanting the kids near her. So milking out a bit in each side to make her more comfortable helps a lot, before putting her kids on her.

Or sharp teeth. Feel the teeth in the front, if sharp, get a fine file and gently file off the sharpness. They hate it but it helps if that is the case.

Tying her up, to feed her babies is good to do, eventually she will not need her back leg tied up and so on. Good luck.

Are they staying in the same pen with her?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.