The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby Meadowlark is 6 days old. Mom is so busy chasing her baby that she isn't eating much...at least I think so. I can't lead her to the meadow, as I use to bc she is too possessive of baby. I give her a little bit of raisins, corn, grain mix, kale, and she has baking soda and salt Licks. She won't eat hay too much.
She was "fat" for so long, perhaps the thinness is ok? But concerned anyway.

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
First get a temp on her.

Her Rumen may be off. give probiotics for 3 days and a fortified vit B complex shot 6cc's.

Also wouldn't hurt to give her molasses water or something for milk fever.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci

What kind of hay are you feeding? Can you give her a little bit of Alfalfa hay?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
also, what kind of goat do you have? diary goats tend to look on the skinny side after kidding and when in milk. do you have a picture?

·
2,203 Posts
Does she smell funny, or "off"?

Few things come in mind:
Milk fever
Ketosis
Mastitis

Alongside the milk fever treatment (calcium drench, CMPK, tums), I would treat ketosis as well (propylene glycol).

Take a temp of course. Does her bag look too flat or hard? Maybe baby isn't doing a good enough job milking her out. Mastitis is always a possibility. You can also check her milk for texture, smell, and temp of the milk itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is a Pygmy goat. Her udder is soft and pink. Baby is full of energy. I separated the male from the mom & baby. (His new pen required a lot of work.) he's not pleased w the move, but he'll get over it.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
is she still not eating? did she stop eating after you separated the buckling? and just curious, why did you decide to separate them so young?

have you taken a temp?

·
Super Moderator
59,743 Posts
She is looking a little thin but not horrible. I would have a fecal done to include coccidia. I would also give her a B Complex shot, about 6cc (they pee out what they don't use). I would also give her Probios daily for about a week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

I took a long look at mom yesterday & today and a vet will be here tonight. Artemis has a dark amber discharge 8 days after birth. She has a temp of 102.5. She will eat greens and grain, raisins & corn but no hay. I ordered two oral b complex but that will be a few days to get here. I bet the vet will give A b shot. But at least I will have it on hand for later. She's drinking okay, I think. I put some electrolytes in her water this morning. And she loves kale.

I shut her in the stall w baby to give her some much needed rest. She's been chasing baby all over the outside pen. Poor mom must be tuckered out.

Does anybody have any idea what may be up w her? I'll find out when the vet arrives, but it would be nice to have a heads up.

Thanks! I'm glad for this app.

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
If you sit and watch her a bit..seeif you cansee her chew a cud....I dont think she looks too too thin.. some times the milk production can pull them down...Its a good idea to keep the buck from the does, expecially when they have babies, so yah..he'll get over it lol...spend a bit of time sitting and watching..you want to see her eat hay, drink water..pee well and poop berries...and chew a cud...check her eyes..the lower inner lids to see if they are bright pink to red...take her temp again..you want to see it between 101.5 and 103.5...let us kow what you discover..and just a side note...she is adorbale : )

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
just an fyi - my doe doesn't like to eat hay much either. I keep it available for her, but she only eats it as a last resort (i.e. if I don't get up early enough to give their morning ration and bring them to their browse site). is the not eating hay new for her?

when I read that you removed them from the male, I thought she had 2 babies, a girl and boy, and removed the baby boy.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She looks like a cross with a Nigerian, as far as I know, I have never seen a pure Pygmy come in pure white. That could be where the skinny look comes from.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I'm thinking over it-I think she's stubborn and wants grass/greens instead of hay.the vet stopped by and gave her a clean bill of health. Her eye lids are pink, her rumen is good. Milk is good. No fever. And baby is good to go, too!

So, I'm doing a food job , too! ;)

Ty, everyone!

·
Registered
31,447 Posts
wonderful news...its nice to get that confirmation when you have doubts..glad your vet could stop by...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts