Mom looks like she's kicking kid?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by GCKRanch, Mar 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    We just had baby number 4 today! Mom is a big, long haired cashmere with a super sassy attitude. She only had one kid, but has been making distressing sounds all morning. I haven't seen any sign of the afterbirth, so I'm wondering if she ate it. She's super defensive of the kid, and she tries to kick him under her with her front hooves. It looks like she would be pawing at the ground, but shes kicking the kid. Is she trying to get him to nurse? Is the baby going to be safe with her?

2. thegoatgirl

thegoatgirl Alpine Addict!

Nov 26, 2011
    Elgin, Texas
    I personally wouldn't be worried unless she seems to be injuring the kid. :) My does do the exact same thing. I believe it is to try and get the kid up and moving.

Good luck! :)

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Sounds like she doesn't feel safe with the noises and trying to get the kid under her. Do you have dogs around? Can you put her in a quiet stall so she can relax and eat? Have you seen the kid nurse? She likely won't hurt it but you want to make her as comfortable as possible. I just had a neurotic doe like that kid and I can't bring the dogs to the barn with me right now as she is a wreck.

4. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    No dogs around. We moved them into our nursery pen, and she freaks out if you pick it up. Baby has eaten, so has mom. Baby seems a little shaky on his feet. Gonna go back out in a few hours and watch them some more.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Digging at the kid is normal for a nervous or new momma.

I tell my FF to quit that and do as mentioned, place her in a bonding pen, feed her and make sure the kid gets first colostrum and latched onto the teat, then let her be for a couple of hours, thne go back and put the kid onto the teat.

If she just kidded and still open, you can wash up and put on a new rubber glove and sheck to see if she has anymore kids in there. Not knowing and not seeing the afterbirth tells me she either ate it or she has another kid at the door. It is best to check. Especially pawing going on.
    They make afterbirth boluses to put in the uterus when we have to help or go in for any reason to help fight infection and it helps dissolve anything left inside. This is usually put in after the afterbirth has dropped.

Make sure her udder is OK and the teat plugs are out, new momma's are very tight and sore and may not allow the kid to nurse, if she is super tight, milking out some will help. Feed that to the kid in a syringe(no needle ) very slowly.

6. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    We had an experienced 5 year old doe kid twins and begin to violently paw at them for an hour after they were born. It scared us so much! She already passed the afterbirth, so we thought she was done. NOPE! She sat down and pushed another out. It was such a surprise! It made so much more sense as to why she was acting so strange.

Hope all goes well!