The Goat Spot Forum banner

Mom not nursing kids

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  liz 
#1 ·
Well this all started basically on Sunday.

On Sunday Flicka kidded with triplets. All was good so I thought, until Monday when the tiny little girl (Little Bit) was all hunched up and very skinny. Obviously she wasn't nursing so I pulled her and tube fed her a couple times and was able to get her on the bottle. Brought her to work with me on Tuesday and accomplished getting her on the bottle.

Wednesday morning I noticed that the two remaining with Flicka were WAY to skinny! So I pulled them and tube fed (first tried the bottle) a couple ounces.

I put them back with their mom as i had to go to work. By that night they were so skinny again it was sickening.

I tube fed a couple more times that night before bed and then put them in a cage with their sister.

In the morning I tried the bottle again and it as worse. So tube fed once again a couple ounces.

Later on they were finally playing outside (oh they never played before, only stood there then layed down) their sister who is smaller then them mastered the steps while they flop down them :( Well they were calling to me because they were upset - I must have went around the corner and Flicka heard them. She finally started to call to them - never once missed them to this point. They ran to her and I was like, ok lets try this. I took Flicka out and we tried to get the kids to nurse........no interest. Then when Jasmine tried Flicka kicked her! :angry: but after kicking her she mothers her :shrug:

So I again had to leave them with her as I had to go to work. Go to work late (again) and of course worried about them.

Came home to same senerio. Took and tube fed again.

Also Flickas udder has been tight and full each time I go out there so they are not nursing. She had a congessted udder on Wednesday from them not nursing, but that is undercontrol now and all is well.

They are starting to play a little with some teeny hops but thats it.

at 6 days old and 3 ounces in their bellies
Coal weighed in at 4lbs 6 ounces
Jasmine 5lbs
Little Bit 3lbs 1 ounce (guess how she got her name LOL)

Let them be with their mom for 7 hours to see if they would get hungry enough to nurse and she would let them.

weighed again
Coal 4lbs 2 ounces (lost 2 ounces)
Jasmine 4lbs 8 ounces (lost 2 ounces)

Tube fed again 3 ounces each - forgot to weight them.

I have seriously tried the bottle with them and so has my mom to no avail.

I am seriously out of ideas. At only 6 days old I am not sure how long I can keep this tube feeding up as they already fight me great deal (and I know that they need it! or I wouldn't do it as I hate doing it).

I am the only one who can tube feed them so that means they only get fed when I am home which I am off to work for 7+ hours at a time 5 days a week!

I have a buyer for all 4 (Flicka and her kids) but I can't sell them with having to be tube fed!

I guess I just need shoulder to cry on about this. :tears:

It certaily is putting a damper on my excitement this year though I am trying to keep my spirits up it is hard when you have very little sleep and are so concerned that they may die without being tube fed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like they really need to be pushed onto the bottle. I know that it is not a transition that you would prefer. I would either get that bucket thing with all the nipples on it - or do what I did and put the bottles in the socks. They will get the hang of it and they will start drinking from the bottle.

I am so sorry that you are having such a tough time this year. I am here if you need to talk :hug:

#4 ·
Stacey, I agree with Allison...I know it's hard to be forceful with babies...but they do need to re-learn how to suck. Getting them on a bottle is really hard and with perseverance you can do it. So sorry you can't enjoy your babies without worrying about them not eating you do what you need to do to help them thrive. :hug:

#5 ·
Oh Stacey, I'm so sorry for your trouble! When we wished multiple births for you we never thought it was going to cause this sort of crisis! How great that you saw the problem, and can make heroic effort to support your babies in their time of need. I'll:pray: that you can get these babies on a bottle, so they can get healthy and grow normally. I wish I could tell you how. :sigh: Good luck.

#6 ·
Bottle feeding just isn't an option - I have successfully gotten kids on the bottle in years past and 2 this year, I know when a kid will take a bottle and we are past that point. :sigh:

It is not that I dont' want them on the bottle I REALLY do! My mom and I agree they are just not going to go on the bottle.

I could leave bottles hanging but they wouldn't see them as a source of food and wouldn't even try. THey have ot KNOW that milk comes from the bottle and accept it before that can be an option.

I appreciate what you all are saying it just isn't going to happen :tears:

Well it is off to tube feed again :(

#7 ·
Stacey as long as you keep tube feeding them and keeping them full they arent going to take the bottle. They have to be really hungry and you may have to try a few nipple types before they get the hang of it. You cant tube feed them forever, it isnt good for them. With mason I went through 4 types of nipples before trying the premie nipple by gerber and he loved it and nursed like a champ.

#8 ·
I have already tried 2 different nipples and waiting till they were starving - to no avail. :sigh:

Don't think I havent' tried - they dont' even know how to nurse! They don't suck they don't bump teh udder they don't even try.

Flicka has conditioned them to not even try as she kicks them. Little Bit can nurse but even she cant' nurse off Flicka because flicka kicks her. :veryangry:

I am totaly at the end of my rope.

I have to leave for work in an hour and a half and I am covered in mud, muck and milk! :GAAH:

#9 ·
You may have to face that there may be something wrong with them. If you can't teach them how to suck they may not live long. This may be a calcium deficency. When kids are born to a calcium deficent doe the will lose all suck reflex and slowly waste away. I know that flicka came from poor conditions originally and she may just have depleted all the calcium she had store last years kidding. You might try giving the kids some calcium and see if it will help. I will try to find the article I read about this.

#10 ·
thank you - I will give some calcium. I would really like to read the artical. If they need an IV of calcium I will call the vet I just found and see what can be done.

they dont' even know how to swollow really, :tears:

if I don't tube feed them they quickly look emaciated.

I understand they may die - and as terrible as it sounds I have almost wished for it as I hate to see them so bad off, it hurts me so much.

#11 ·
Aww, Stacey. I am so sorry to hear that, it is really wearing on you and being at your wits end makes matters that much more worse, I really wish I could say more to help you but other than having it be "cute" to bottle a kid, I don't have experience with doing it for their survival. :tears: :hug:

#12 ·
This is really good news but may come as a slight shock

I was able to sell all 4

I sold them to a WONDERFUL lady who loves them and Flicka and I am so thrilled beyond words. She milked flicka and she tube fed them and is going to try the bottle on them and try the dish and she is so awesome.

I prayed for a solution to my problem and God gave it to me. I couldn't have asked for a better home she certainly was sent by God. She is home all the time and has the willingness and patience to work with them, something I ran out of to be honest. I would have done it dont get me wrong, but I needed this and I am so pleased.

#19 ·
a little update

She said that it looks like Jasmine is nursing and Flicka is letting her! :leap: Coal she wasn't so keen on when they were watching but she was only able to fit 1 1/2 ounces in him so possibly he is nursing :shrug:

Anyway this is the best situation for them and I cant' express my relief on them getting such great care.

Flicka is settling in nicely and even let her milk her without much effort! :love: I cant' praise Flicka enough for what she has gone through (yes she was being a pain about not letting them nurse but given her condition and the chance that she had a congested udder didnt' help) she is such a special goat to me and to me it is a new beginning for her that I believe will be awesome.

#21 ·
Stacey, I'm so glad that all worked out with Flicka and her babies....great that the lady was willing to do the tube feedings and it sounds like they will have a great loving home. Good for you...now a bit less stress til Miss Mia has hers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.