The Goat Spot Forum banner

Mom past her due date

2764 Views 75 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  toth boer goats
I have an alpine doe who was due last Friday 😳 still no labor. She looks like she’s close but doesn’t have that tight bag yet and she does feel squishy where ligaments are, I don’t feel ligaments but my husband said he slightly feels them. So she’s officially 7 days late, we gave her CKPM along with land of Havilahs easy birth extract 3x a day. She’s not in distress and is acting normal, I thought she was in labor last night because she was acting laborish (yawns, rubbing on everything, even thought she had the posty leg) but I guess it was false labor. Any ideas on what to do in this situation? I’m so confused and don’t know what’s safe for a doe to go over their due date. Any info is appreciated ❤
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
I believe 160 days is safe. How do you know her due date? Is it possible she had a 5 day heat and was bred a week later than you thought?
Reactions: 1
How sure are you on her due date? How many days was she with the buck?

Watch for discharge and a shiny udder. If she's not acting sick or like somethings wrong you'll just have to wait 😂 which I know is the hardest thing lol
I believe 160 days is safe. How do you know her due date? Is it possible she had a 5 day heat and was bred a week later than you thought?
We literally saw her in heat let her out with the buck saw him breed her and she ran back to her stall and wanted nothing to do with him after that 🤣 and she wasn’t with him after that since we saw her get bred
How sure are you on her due date? How many days was she with the buck?

Watch for discharge and a shiny udder. If she's not acting sick or like somethings wrong you'll just have to wait 😂 which I know is the hardest thing lol
100% positive she was with the buck one day we saw her get bred and she wanted nothing to do with him after that breeding 😂
I’m just worried about the baby being ok in there that long 😳
Well I wouldn't be real worried yet. She may just be carrying one. She's still in normal range and it sounds like she's starting to get pretty uncomfortable. Hopefully you have a kid soon!
Well I wouldn't be real worried yet. She may just be carrying one. She's still in normal range and it sounds like she's starting to get pretty uncomfortable. Hopefully you have a kid soon!
7 days late is in normal range? When is it not normal?
Past 160 days so 10 days late.
Ok so we have a few days that’s a relief I think I will be able to sleep knowing that 🤣
I'd consider having a vet check her out if she has not kidded by day 159.
I'd consider having a vet check her out if she has not kidded by day 159.
Yes I may do that, I will call Monday if she hasn’t kidded. Praying she does before then
Reactions: 3
Can you feel the kid on her right side? Or, right in front of her udder? Have the back legs gotten "posty"? They get
pretty straight right before labor- ligaments aren't always the best indicators, sometimes they don't fill the udder to
shiny- as with all things goat, for every rule, there is a goat that will not follow them!
I am seriously going through the exact same thing! I have a doe that was "bred" on Sept 29. She is like 164 days. We had an ultrasound done last Monday when she was 159 days. Kid was alive and kicking. The vet feels that we may be off a week and is really 157 days right now. He thought the kid didn't look too big on the ultrasound. He felt we had time.

Her udder is not getting bigger really and ligaments are slightly squishy, very slightly.

I hope your doe goes soon!!! Let's see who reaches the finish line first :)
I am seriously going through the exact same thing! I have a doe that was "bred" on Sept 29. She is like 164 days. We had an ultrasound done last Monday when she was 159 days. Kid was alive and kicking. The vet feels that we may be off a week and is really 157 days right now. He thought the kid didn't look too big on the ultrasound. He felt we had time.

Her udder is not getting bigger really and ligaments are slightly squishy, very slightly.

I hope your doe goes soon!!! Let's see who reaches the finish line first :)
Haha I’m so happy we are not alone in this!! Please keep me updated with yours and I’ll keep you updated on mine ☺
Can you feel the kid on her right side? Or, right in front of her udder? Have the back legs gotten "posty"? They get
pretty straight right before labor- ligaments aren't always the best indicators, sometimes they don't fill the udder to
shiny- as with all things goat, for every rule, there is a goat that will not follow them!
We definitely feel the baby and felt it kick yesterday, I would say her legs definitely has gotten posty for sure, I did notice a little more discharge on her today so hopefully this means we are close, she is definitely not following the rules and this is so typical for her 😂
Reactions: 4
Esimon- I have one doing the same as yours- Naturally, this is a very important breeding- she read the doe code and is following it to a T! Best wishes for a
good kidding to you!
Reactions: 2
My doe is still pregnant! UGH!

She did make some kind of nest in the straw. That's it. Udder is about the same and ligaments still there. I'm looking forward to some extra milk too!

How is your doe doing?
My doe is still pregnant! UGH!

She did make some kind of nest in the straw. That's it. Udder is about the same and ligaments still there. I'm looking forward to some extra milk too!

How is your doe doing?
Ahh I can do relate!! Literally the same here!! Her bag is filling up and getting tighter but no labor yet. I did notice she started losing her mucus plug these past two days but not the stream you see in labor 🙄 what kind of goat do you have?
Esimon- I have one doing the same as yours- Naturally, this is a very important breeding- she read the doe code and is following it to a T! Best wishes for a
good kidding to you!
Thank you so much!! Good to hear I’m not alone. How’s yours doing? Nothing on my end 🙄
Ahh I can do relate!! Literally the same here!! Her bag is filling up and getting tighter but no labor yet. I did notice she started losing her mucus plug these past two days but not the stream you see in labor 🙄 what kind of goat do you have?
She's a registered Nubian :) What type of goat is yours?
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.