The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first kidding and my alpine had triplets. One of them is really small and was a slow starter but is now doing fine, except that the mom won't let him nurse. I tried to bottle feed him without success (I do have previous bottle-feeding experience with a purchased kid) but I DID have success putting him to the udder while the doe was in the milking stand. He was happy and she tolerated it. My question is, if I wanted to continue this way of having him nurse (rather than bottle feed him), what kind of schedule should I use for it? He probably sucked for about 1 - 2 minutes and he's only a day old. Should I try this every 4 hours, or would it need to be more often? I'm not finding this specific kind of info. online.
Thanks so much!!!

·
14,615 Posts
What we do if a doe does not appear to let one nurse is keep her in a stall with kids until we know for sure the questionable one is being fed.
If you have to, tie up doe & hold rear leg up as you guide kid to faucet.
One or two minutes of sucking is very good!:cool:

And welcome to TGS, glad you are here.

·
14,615 Posts
If a doe actually rejects a kid there is no mistake about it. She will fling, bite or butt violently.
Just walking away means that kids had enough for now. Remember they feed in short spans frequently.;)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yep I agree. Maybe if you are able to put the mom on the milk stand about every 3-4 hours and the baby nurses, maybe she will take to it as well.

:welcome: from Colorado

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Thank you everyone! The little guy has continued to get stronger and I have been able to witness him "sneaking" a snack from mom before she notices who he is. He has the exact markings of his sister but the mom always sniffs him first before she walks away. It seems like she is getting tired of keeping track of him and has gotten lazy about it, I hope she just gives it up and accepts him, he is getting fast at keeping up with her and persisting. I have continued to let him nurse in the milking stand every 4 hours or so and that is going well. Thanks again all!

Beth

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
You could always weigh him daily to make sure he is gaining weight. Just make sure to use a scale that weighs in tenths of pounds or pounds and ounces.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Thank you everyone! The little guy has continued to get stronger and I have been able to witness him "sneaking" a snack from mom before she notices who he is. He has the exact markings of his sister but the mom always sniffs him first before she walks away. It seems like she is getting tired of keeping track of him and has gotten lazy about it, I hope she just gives it up and accepts him, he is getting fast at keeping up with her and persisting. I have continued to let him nurse in the milking stand every 4 hours or so and that is going well. Thanks again all!
Beth
Very good sign. Keep doing what you are doing for awhile to insure the kid stays strong. Sounds like she's going to, as you say, "get lazy about it". That's perfect. And a tenacious kid will find a way. Good job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts