Mom still showing sticky discharge at 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by LouLou, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Wellington, CO
    My doe, Mona, had Hansel & Gretel June 25; she looks good (still looks pregnant to me) but yesterday afternoon I noticed she had dark red sticky stuff on her tail; her kids also had a couple of streaks of it on their coats (from nursing). Should I be concerned? She's eating well, still nursing a little, and still being bossy. But never having experienced ANY of this before (nor with my first doe Esther who kidded June 13), I'm not sure if I need to do anything. Help please. Also, both does have lost almost of their hair/coats. Is that normal? Thanks for any and all advice.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Lynda, That is fine, they can do that for 4-6 weeks. As long as it does not smell, she will be fine. :wave: :wave:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    When you say they both lost all of their hair and coats, do you mean the two doelings? Losing their hair isn't normal. Do you have a picture?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just like in humans its not uncommon for them to hold their hair and then shed out after kidding - perfectly normal

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, I agree...totally normal. My girls normally will have "clean behinds" 2 weeks after delivery and then have more discharge at 3-4 weeks after...and my FF this year went just about bald 3 weeks after she delivered, thank goodness mid March wasn't extremely cold!

7. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Ours typically start this about a week after kidding and will do it for up to 2 months. It looks alarming but a teaspoon of bloody discharge can look like a lot more than it really is when it's smeared all over their butts. No worries. Keep it cleaned up during fly season for their own comfort.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with everyone... :thumb: ......very normal.... unless the discharge is smelly and she becomes sick and stops eating.... :wink: