Mom will not Nurse

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crazyt, Mar 6, 2011.

1. crazyt

crazyt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I have an experienced 3rd time kidded doe. Last two kiddings had triplets without a problem.

She had twins February 22nd. Babies were born within 40minutes of each other. She cleaned both babies and allowed to nurse. On day 2, we started seeing her push baby #2 away from her. As the days progress, we started going in and making her nurse baby. Now, Baby waits for us to come in the barn for she is hungry-(and scared to nurse because of being pushed away all the time). We have been putting mom in a corner so baby will nurse.

Well, we have tried many tricks and have now decided to just bottle feed little one.

My questions are:
    How much should I mix, and is 3 x day enough. We plan to go out at 7am, 330p and 10pm, or is 2x day okay?
    And, how much should I feed my baby. I am starting out at 2 cups because I milked my other doe and she drank that much down that much in 30 seconds.

I am planning on using a 1/2 mixture of fresh milk and milk replacer.

Thank you
    :hair: :GAAH:

2. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Three times a day should be good, and I feed as much as they want, you'll just have to play around with it til you know how much the baby will eat at each feeding. If the baby will be eating something other then what he's use to (mom's milk), switch him slowly.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are we talking boer kid (going by your avatar) or some other breed?

small amounts more frequent is better so 4 times a day for now then then cut back as she gets older.

4. crazyt

crazyt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Boer Goat, 4 x a day would be nice, but I work 4 days a week, so unable to do a noon feeding.

She took the bottle really good tonight. Very little screaming, more drinking. And she went potty when we were done. I feel that is a success. Waiting for a poo.

I feel like a mother of a newborn--monitoring body functions.

How much should I feed her at a time?

Thanks for the suggestions

5. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    This weekend I picked up some bummer lambs when picking up my new billies and they are on what they called a lamb bar I just call it a milk bucket

basically a 5 gallon bucket with hole and nipples sticking out of it for the babies this would work for goats also I think

With one baby you wouldnt need such a big bucket but one nipple and you just fill it up in the morning and they can drink all day like having there mom there.

With the sheep we mix it warms but cool it down to outside tempts this will stop them from gorging them self on it they drink a little here and there all day Ill take picks of the bucket when I get home in the morning and post them.

The nipples you can get from Premier one online.