mom won't let baby nurse

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bbredmom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Hey everyone! etta had a healthy buckling this morning, but everytime he goes to nurse, she moves away. what do I do?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Is she being mean to him? If not, try to have someone hold her till he can latch on. Is she a FF? She's probably still confused about what this is! Once he can nurse and she "gets" it she should be OK. He needs to get some colostrum asap...so if she refuses to let him nurse you'll have to milk her out and feed him with a bottle. Hopeing he's got a strong desire to nurse...if he has trouble finding the spigot...you may have to "guide" him a little. Congrats! Don't give up to soon though, sometimes they need a little time to bond.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she separate from other goats or in with the whole herd? she could be getting distracted and once separated can really bond with her son.

I second what Di said too

4. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ok, they figured it out with a little help from yours truly, and now he has a full belly and is passed out!

He's soooo cute! Of course, he came out backwards and upside down, so she needed a little assistance.

I'll get better pics when he is awake. He's a paint with brown leg warmers, and blue eyes!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v80/katikate/Duke/

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ohhh! I love his coloring. So glad that he and momma have figured it out. Congrats!

6. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    He is a very big buckling! Look at this pic of them laying side by side...

[​IMG]

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats on the little boy - he is soooooo cute!! Don't be surprised if those eyes turn a light brown - that is what Flopsy's looked like when she was born and within a week they were a really light tan.

Give Etta loves for me - she did good!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so cute ...congrats :greengrin: