The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Nigerian/Lamancha mix who had quadruplets recently. Everything's been going fine so far; the kids are healthy, energetic, and growing fast. Yesterday, she began kicking them off the udder, and when I touched her udder to inspect it, she jerked away from me.

Some possibly relevant info: I have not started milking her; I intend to tomorrow or the next day, but have been busy with work. I also disbudded her kids yesterday, but I don't know if that was before or after she started kicking them off the udder. I did notice her allowing her kids to nurse for a short time yesterday, after disbudding. Other than that though, she hasn't been letting anyone near her udder. The udder looks normal in size/shape and coloration.

EDIT: Took rectal temp, she's at 102.5. I felt her udder, no lumps or hardness. Thinking I will apply bag balm before I go to work in case her udder is just a little tender from nursing four kids.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I've had several of my goat start kicking their kids off at around 2-4 weeks, depending on the size and aggressiveness of the kids. It's a training phase when mama starts making demands that her kids show manners during nursing. It works well for twins. Not so much when there are more kids than teats and everyone is hungry. Quads is a lot for one mama to feed and you may need to start supplementing the kids. And you're right that her teats may be dry and sore from having so many kids hanging on them all the time. Bag balm will help.

When we've had triplets, I've usually put mama on the stanchion twice a day and tied up the babies nearby. Then I bring them to nurse two at a time and then pull them off before draining the udder so the third (or in your case the other two) can have a turn next. The ones that aren't getting milk get a pan of calf manna and grain to eat. That way everyone gets fed, no one goes hungry, and they don't feel the urge to viciously attack mama's udder throughout the day.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
You will probably need to start daily weighing and supplement kids. I'm sure the kids are taking a toll on her teats.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
I agree with Damfino, that is what I do to.
I do hold back kids and allow 2 at a time to nurse, then the other kid or kids, so all get fed and mama gets relief, no matter if she likes it or not, 2 x a day.
It helps keep mastitis away, especially when mama does not allow them to nurse and starts getting super tight.

I have a Doe who has twins right now, her boys are cutting into her teat.
I also used a fine file and filed off the sharpness, but they still are being rough. :( causing a sore from their teeth.
She was not wanting them to nurse, so I hold her and allow her kids to nurse on her really well, 2 x a day.
Making sure she is drained and soft again. Then I spray her wound with chlorhexidine solution, each time. It helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Bag balm seems to be helping, will continue applying. I was a little worried about the kids not getting milk after the stress of disbudding, but she's letting them on sparingly. I'm about to start separating them at night and feeding grain, so her udder will at least get relief when I milk her, and she'll have more time away from the kids to facilitate healing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts