Momma had goat in doghouse! PICS ADDED!!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Iwantgoats, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Do I move her to the birthing stall or leave her to see if she has another??? She's in the doghouse and keeping the others outside, it is raining and above freezing her. She is dry and baby looks to be doing fine?? Suggestions please. First time and I'm shaking like a leaf!! I knew I should of moved her, debated with DH all evening about it. I knew I couldn't feel her ligs but her bag wasn't all the way full and there was never any goo coming out so I figured another 2-3 days but dangit. What do I do??

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Re: Momma had goat in doghouse HELP!!

If she is doing OK I would try not to move her as that will cause stress. Keep a good watch on her and she will be fine. You are probably worried but as long as she is comfortable where she delivers is not as important. A;; the best !!

3. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

Ok, what about when it starts snowing, it is suppose to get down below freezing but right now it's not. Dangit I knew this was gonna happen. We have the stall all ready with nice dry hay and everything. Ughh. Should I put down some fresh hay or a blanket or something? Do I just assume she's taking care of them and feeding them? I see her licking on them.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

She knows what to do just make sure they are feeding, this is so important. Keeping dry is the most important creature comfort for them, so if the dog house is in decent condition it will be fine. Welcome to the unpredictable world of goats. I once had a goat birth outside in the freezing rain, needless to say I moved them when the 2 kids were born to a warm place in the barn. You could consider moving them once they are born, both doe and kids, but wait until she is done kidding. Remember to dip the cord in iodine and you could clean her up some.

5. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

I big one one small one who doesn't appear as strong and I'm not sure if it has drank. She's got like 30 min. to get feed right? And then I will assist the first one in getting some colostrum. She is passing the placenta now. I think she is done birthing. She's eaten a cup of grain and and is chomping on hay as I type. I think I am going to move them shortly. It's near impossible for me to get in the doghouse. It's one of those dome shaped ones. I put fresh hay down inside. OMY gosh I'm shaking like a leaf and so nervous. Thank you for being here to calm me and give me advice.

Edit to add: The big ones umbilical cord is long. Should I when I move them, tie it off? Or will mom take care of it?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would say move them to a birthing stall or somewhere they can move around and you can hlep the babies if you need.

As for the cord, what I do is I hold the belly at the cord and I use my nails to tear it off. It should shred. Then dip the whole thing up to the belly in iodine to kell any bacteria and to help prevent Joint Ill.

The reason I do that is to keep the baby or mom for stepping on the cord. That would not be good,

7. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

I'm on it, thank you everyone for answering my newby questions!!! I love ya for sure!!!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

you want it hanging some but not to much -- so tie it off with some dental floss and then cut the extra that is dragging. If it isnt dragging then leave it be

congrats on the kiddos.

yes you can move her to a nice warm stall so you can watch mom and babies better now that she is done kidding.

as to the baby eating -- I give them up to an hour -- being born isnt easy.

glad to hear mom has delivered the afterbirth and now you wont have to deal with that in the nice stall :thumbup:

9. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

I got momma and babies moved to their birthing stall, heat lamp is on. Big one is doing good and has feed. The little one I got to take some dribbles that I manually feed (that's a chore). Now I'm gonna sit back and observe to see what mom does and give her an hour or so. Thank you everyone for being here, don't know what I would do without experienced goat people. :)

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

Congrats on your new babies!!! I can't wait to see baby pictures! ;- )

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I see ...you have received great advice....and you did the right thing.... :wink:

Congrats...on the new babies.... :greengrin: :thumb:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

good job!

congrats on the babies!!

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Congrats on the babies! Can't wait to see pictures :)

14. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri

This is the doe:
    [​IMG]
    This is both, the buck on the left:
    [​IMG]
    This is the buck:
    [​IMG]

The buck is suckling but only like slurp slurp then off, is this normal? He's active and up walking around.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    theyre cute! big size difference, just make sure that buck is eating and he should be fine

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Make sure he continues to eat -- little bits at a time is normal

17. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Congrats on the babies! :love: Their adorable.

18. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Congratulations! They are adorable!

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ..make sure you keep an eye.. on the little boy........

They are so adorable..... Congrats... :wink: :love: :greengrin: :thumb:

20. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    How cute!!!!! :D You're so lucky! I love their coloring especially.