The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Nigerian Dwarf who has had twins. She has nursed both ( they are 4 days old) until yesterday when she tried to kill one. She has a history of killing siblings..she likes one baby only. I have another one of hers that we had to bottle raise from last year. How can I get her to straighten up and act right? I need help to get her to accept the baby and feed him herself. I thought this time would be better as she likes boys not girls and both if these are males.

·
14,839 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like she is just not going to be a good mom to more than 1 baby. We had a doe that did this years ago in first pregnancy, gave her a break, next year she started to favor one, but I was able to verbally scald her and tricked her by using Vicks Vapor rub on her nose and babies tails. She straightened up and raised both and never had an issue with her again. Pain can make them snotty towards one or all babies, so if she is in any pain - if a kid nurses on a painful side she blames that kid for her pain. I've seen that happen. They can sense when something might not be right with a baby and reject it. There are just so many reasons why they do this. But if she full on wants to kill this kid, I doubt I'd keep trying with her and would consider culling her in the future unless you want to keep continuing to have this happen and then the possibility of it being passed on to her kids (sometimes it does, a lot of times I hear it does not).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a doe do this 3 times and I finally culled her last year. She also favored boys and had tossed last year's girl baby over the fence.
If you find a solution, please let us know. This situations upsets the heck out of me, more than most bad goat tricks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a doe do this 3 times and I finally culled her last year. She also favored boys and had tossed last year's girl baby over the fence.
If you find a solution, please let us know. This situations upsets the heck out of me, more than most bad goat tricks.
Mine definitely favors the boys except for this one. Breaks my heart watching him not understand what happened. Not sure why she waits 4 days and I am trying hard not to dislike her but she challenges me on this..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, it sounds like she is just not going to be a good mom to more than 1 baby. We had a doe that did this years ago in first pregnancy, gave her a break, next year she started to favor one, but I was able to verbally scald her and tricked her by using Vicks Vapor rub on her nose and babies tails. She straightened up and raised both and never had an issue with her again. Pain can make them snotty towards one or all babies, so if she is in any pain - if a kid nurses on a painful side she blames that kid for her pain. I've seen that happen. They can sense when something might not be right with a baby and reject it. There are just so many reasons why they do this. But if she full on wants to kill this kid, I doubt I'd keep trying with her and would consider culling her in the future unless you want to keep continuing to have this happen and then the possibility of it being passed on to her kids (sometimes it does, a lot of times I hear it does not).
It wouldn't bother me so much if she just rejected him. But trying to kill them is too much for me!

·
8,700 Posts
Have you found, when one is rejected, that the rejected one is more sickly and/or dies at a younger age? The reason that I ask is I have had
does that totally reject one kid, later that kid just fails to thrive, no matter what one does. I had one necropsied (4 years ago, when I had some money!)
and it was inconclusive. Sometimes, the doe instinctively knows when a kid is somehow defective and just won't waste her resources on it. And other
does are just plain contankerous and only like one, for what ever reason!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you found, when one is rejected, that the rejected one is more sickly and/or dies at a younger age? The reason that I ask is I have had
does that totally reject one kid, later that kid just fails to thrive, no matter what one does. I had one necropsied (4 years ago, when I had some money!)
and it was inconclusive. Sometimes, the doe instinctively knows when a kid is somehow defective and just won't waste her resources on it. And other
does are just plain contankerous and only like one, for what ever reason!
This one is a little smaller but not sickly. The little girl she tried to get rid of last year is super healthy and smart...she thinks she is a dog because we brought her in to feed her and she bonded with them. I think this momma is just mean.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,787 Posts
I had a doe ,this year, reject a doeling. She has had 3 other sets of twins. No problem in the past. But this year she attempted to kill the doeling. I took the doeling into the house. I was afraid she would succeed. Ive never seen any doe be this aggressive...ever. So once this buckling is weaned, this doe will be sold.

·
Super Moderator
15,361 Posts
They can be so dang hard headed! Once they get something in their mind it’s pretty much impossible to change it. You can try tying her and forcing her to let him eat every few hours but you are going to have a fight on your hands. You can also try taking the loved one away and letting them both nurse at the same time. Kinda a if you want your baby you like you need to take both. I have had 100% success with the cows doing this and 0% with the goats.
I personally don’t fight with them any more. It takes time and energy I’m short on and the last time I tried to force it the doe ended up rejecting the one she liked just so she didn’t have to deal with the one she didn’t.
But if you have the time and want to try pushing it try! Just know it may get worse or she may never take him and you will have to do this for 3 months because chances are she won’t take him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts