The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get-attachment (13).jpg

get-attachment (12).jpg

goat333.jpg Hi everyone! I am new to this forum but have a slight problem... I have a neighbor who bought a sale barn doe 8 wks ago and it was sold as an exposed doe. She gave it to me because it got so large the feed bill is staggering. I have had her for 3 weeks and she keeps growing and now her sides are hollowing out. Please help me figure out how far she can be. I can see her sides and have felt kicks but am concerned she isn't bagging up yet. Is it true that acquiring a goat this late in pregnancy is a sign she will have problems or have a stillbirth? Here are the pictures of my footstool sized goat. Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
Sometimes they don't bag up until close to birthing but it may just be that she has a ways to go. When you get them from the sale barn, you really can't trust any breeding dates or anything. She may have more than month to go or she may be close. Hard to say.

If she was bought 8 weeks ago and said to be exposed, you could be looking at 3 more months before kidding. She could have been exposed right before being taken to the sale. So at this point, you have anywhere from now till 3 months before she kids.

Bringing home a goat late in gestation doesn't guarantee having problems or not having problems. She looks healthy. Her ligaments for her rumen are probably all stretched out so that is why she is looking so large.

Make sure she has a good loose goat mineral out 24/7.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good to hear... I have minerals (loose) out there and she gets classie milk goat sweet mix twice daily. She is really putting away the alfalfa products. I will try to be patient. Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a boer doe that is a similar shape to this, very different to our other boer does. Ours had her first kidding last year and delivered twins without problem. She doesn't bag up in a similar way to the others either but had plenty of milk for her twins. She is due to kid again soon... Looks like she's going to burst, such a weird shape though :)

·
14,615 Posts
TripleD your doe has some time, at least a month or so. My older does left side looks alot like hers.
Make sure she gets plenty loose minerals & maybe even some Bose & CDT booster.
Stillborn or difficulity can happen with an FF.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Oh yeah... I know all about fat Boers... I have a 4 year old that is unbelievably huge unless she is lactating. So hard to keep weight off of her :sigh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow these girls get big

For a minute I thought we had a goat/ostrich cross. Your doe must be ready to get this over with. I will be patient and thanks for all the great tips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
called the vet today

everyone will get a laugh out of this one. My farrier came to help with my horses and looked at this pregnant goat. He said that is the largest goat he has seen in a long time and I should call the vet to induce. Soooo, I sent the pictures you see previously and asked him to induce. He was kind but said if she is not actively pushing or off feed. I have to wait..... so here I am

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had two nannies kid yesterday one was a total shock it wasn't her first but she never really bagged up or swelled in the back. I was more concerned about my first timer in labor never really noticed her only about ten feet from me until I looked and 10 mins later she had a baby and 10 mins after that my first timer had hers. My nanny that had twins was huge but she bagged up really big so I knew she was close.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still waiting....

Ligaments gone yesterday, back this am.. I work 12 hr nights and am beside myself she is going to be alone when she delivers. I had the vet over to see my horse yesterday and he looked through the fence and said it looks like any day she will go. She is so large... larger than the last 2 pics and she spends all day laying on the hay pile eating. Poor thing or poor me. I am going to have to start drinking to calm my nerves and I don't drink!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day #???

She is still growing... and spending all day laying around eating hay. I wish I knew when she was bred. At least my goats I write on a calendar when they were exposed. I took the scrapie tag number and called the Colorado dept of Ag to see if they could give me the owners who took her to the sale barn, but no luck. They wouldn't give it to me so here I am... Watching and waiting and waiting....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts