The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a month old goat who is being bottle fed. Shes in thr house at the moment due to the really bad weather we've been having. We haven't been able to get her set up outside yet. She wears diapers in the house and I've noticed she hasn't really pooped in the last day or so. Her poops lately have been dark brown and very firm. I have her an enema this evening and a few bits of poop came out. I watched and she was just releasing clear water with no poop so I stopped. Shes active, hungry, and doesn't seem to be in pain. She does tense up a little when I touch her belly and it is very tight. I'm feeding her goat milk replacer ans added some karo syrup in it this evening. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She now has the scours which I'm guessing is from the stupid karo syrup that I was suggested to use. At least she's not constipated anymore. I'll be giving her pedialyte and alternating with her milk till it clears.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,342 Posts
You need to take her off of replacer. I would get electrolytes (pedialyte is okay but go buy balanced livestock electrolytes).

Feed ONLY ONLY ONLY electrolytes (throw away that replacer) for at least 12 hours. Feeding at the same time and amount you would a bottle, pretty much. Heated to bottle temp as well. Then you can switch directly to whole milk. Either whole cow's milk from the store, or whole goats milk from the store.

Feed at 101-102 degrees F.

Get your numbers right based on her weight, do not overfeed. Use chart here: https://thegivinggoathome.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/bottle-feeding-goats.pdf

I would also get a fecal test done as she is at the right age for coccidia to cause issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely planned to switch her after she gets over these scours. I am feeding pedialyte till I can get to the ag supply store this afternoon. We sadly do not have one in our town :( Could I just go ahead and treat her for coccidiosis as a precaution?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,342 Posts
I definitely planned to switch her after she gets over these scours. I am feeding pedialyte till I can get to the ag supply store this afternoon. We sadly do not have one in our town :( Could I just go ahead and treat her for coccidiosis as a precaution?
Yes you can give cocci prevention and don't switch after she is over the scours because switching is what will get her over the scours.

If she is getting any milk replacer she needs to be off of it and on only electrolytes. Do this for 12 hours and then onto whole milk.

Any replacer going back into her system is just going to make you lose your progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that's what I meant! I will give her only electrolytes today and then switch to only whole milk. I don't plan to give her anymore of this replace and do away with it entirely (hoping TSC will take it back without a receipt since it was a fairly new bag). I decided with the replacer because there was so much back and forth on the internet about it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,342 Posts
Yes that's what I meant! I will give her only electrolytes today and then switch to only whole milk. I don't plan to give her anymore of this replace and do away with it entirely (hoping TSC will take it back without a receipt since it was a fairly new bag). I decided with the replacer because there was so much back and forth on the internet about it.
Great, sorry for not understanding what you meant!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts