The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m stumped.

At about 3 this afternoon I went out to fill hay bins and give alfalfa pellets and one of my does, Snickers, was laying down by herself. She got up when I went to the fence but I could tell she wasn’t feeling good and something wasn’t right.

I poured the alfalfa pellets into their feeder and she went to eat and took a few nibbles and then spit out the pellets, turned around and went to the hay bin to eat hay which she ate with no problem. That’s not like her, she’s a pellet eating machine, well pretty much an everything eating machine.

Along with acting off she also a very noticeable droop to her left ear.

Of course I thought maybe she had something wrong with a tooth so got a flash light and checked her teeth, molars included and there was nothing obviously wrong except for the fact was easily able to catch her… she’s not the friendliest girl in the herd. I also checked her ears, no swelling, moisture, sensitivity or smell.

So out came the thermometer and I took her temp and it read 103.6 but to me she felt warmer. So I waited about an hour and checked it again and it said 106. I grabbed the banamine and some Tylan 200 and gave her a dose of each. Her respiratory rate was 74 as well so I suspected pneumonia.

I checked her temp again a couple hours later and it was 104.4. Not good but definitely better than 106.

I checked it again at around 7 and it was still 104.4 but she did run from me for about 5-10 minutes until I could catch her which is much more like herself.

At around 10pm her temp was 103.8.

She was feeling better, definitely still not 100% herself though and she still had the left ear droopy. She will pick it up when she starts to move around and run from me.She will also droop both when she’s eating or standing around looking mopey.

My thought was pneumonia once I didn’t see anything wrong with her tooth or ear.
The droopy ear had me worried about listeriosis but it’s just her ear, no neurological problems, no facial paralysis and her blink reflex is fine. She still has control over lifting the ear too, it’s not just hanging there.

She has continued to eat her hay and never showed any problems chewing or hesitations eating it.

Does anyone know if pneumonia could cause the one ear to droop or could I be dealing with something else?

I’ll attach a couple pictures of her drooping her ear so you all can see what I’m talking about and one with both ears droopy.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding 🙂

I’ll get her started on the b-complex and probiotics right away. She does seem better today, not as depressed looking and she showed more interest in eating her alfalfa pellets. She does chew them up slowly and takes breaks but it’s better than yesterday with her spitting them out and walking away.

I’ll give another update this afternoon 🤞

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Sorry for no update yesterday.

She ate some alfalfa pellets this morning but she’s definitely still under the weather. She’s eating hay and forage still but not enthusiastically like her normal self.
She’s had no more banamine and has had no fever, so I’m happy about that. But her poop is soft, not diarrhea but soft logs.
Her famacha was between 2-3 yesterday and today is 3-4 so I’ve dewormer with valbazen.
Prior to all this she’s been a 1-2, always very thrifty and healthy and never needing to be dewormed.
Is it possible that the pneumonia or whatever has her feeling down caused a worm surge? Or should I be looking into other illness that could cause the famacha change?

She is still on the Tylan and will complete that and the b complex and probiotics as well. Is there anything else I can or should be doing?

I truly appreciate your input!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I will definitely keep up the probiotics until then.

I’m taking her out to browse and she’s eating well but on the other hand to me she seems a little weak. I don’t have a scale but she definitely looks like she has lost some weight in just the past couple of days. I’m sure that’s due to her not having the greatest apatite and all that’s going on 😔

Also her temp is 102.3 but to me her ears feel cold and she almost seems achy but maybe I’m just being paranoid.

If it’s pneumonia is it normal for it to take this long for them to feel better? And is the stool softening normal as well?

I’ve only dealt with pneumonia once when I was just getting into goats 2 years ago and that doe picked up in just a day so I’m sorry if I’m jumping the gun with this. I just really want her to get better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She’s definitely worst today :cry:

She’s not as interested much in eating but she did nibble on a some oak leaves and her temp is 100.4. I heard her make a short squeak/cry noise a few times and cry out a couple of times like she’s in pain. But she stopped now.
I’m going to give her some banamine to see if it helps her feel better. And to me her head looks like it’s making very small almost unnoticeable jerking movements.
Her poop is a little firmer today and she has good rumen sounds and movement.
Other than pneumonia what could it be?

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
What dose and frequency of tylan 200 is she getting? Temp is a tad low now. Get her in the sun shine to help warm her up. No feed or grain when temp is low. Bring her some tempting browse foods like leaves and vines off safe plants, pine and cedar are good. I would also give her a little dark beer with her probiotics. Room temp is best. Could be the worm bloom and dewormer set her rumen off a bit

·
Administrator
92,609 Posts
Give thiamine or fortified vit b complex, make sure she gets 500 of thiamine every 4 to 6 hours, to see if it stops the head issue. So if the goat weighs under 100 lbs still give at least 5 cc’s of fortified vit b complex, as it has 100mg of thiamine per dosage. Or give 5 to 6 cc’s per 100lbs.

Keep up with probiotics etc to rebuild her rumen a few hours after the antibiotics.

She has been given many things at once and still on antibiotics so it is hard on her rumen.

If her head is slightly jerking, it may be the beginning of polio.
How much longer is she suppose to be on antibiotics and how long has she been on them?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She’s been getting her Tylan 2cc IM morning and night since August 5th and I was going to do the full 5 days.

Her temp is up to 101 now. I was going to move her to the sun but she wants to stay in her lean-to so I put some browse next to her so she doesn’t have to move around much and some water as well. I added some cedar and she started munching on it right away so 🤞.

I have a doctors appointment that I can’t change so she’ll be on her own for a couple of hours so I’ll give you all an update once I get home.

I have had her on b complex 2cc twice per day as well but I will increase to 5 ccs every 4-6 hours and see if it helps. And I will also try to get some dark beer for her.

Thank you all for all of your suggestions. I truly appreciate it 🤗

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Tylan 200 is 1 cc per 25 pounds. So make sure 2 cc is enough, also for goats, you can give it sub Q. No need to do painful IM for antibiotics even if bottle says otherwise. OnIy thing we definitely give IM is steroids and hormone shots. Everything else is sub Q.

Best wishes

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

She doesn’t want to stand now 😢 her temp is 102. I don’t know what else to do or what else could be wrong.
I tried to help her stand and she cries like she’s in pain but she’s still eating her oak and grape leaves.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Any neurological symtoms? Twitching eyes, blindness, crooked neck?

Get her a large dose of b co plex. 5 cc at least.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
Check her famacha as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I gave her 2 doses of 5cc’s of b complex so far - 4 hours apart and she still seems to have the ever so slight head twitch. But other than that no neurological symptoms. I was able to get her to stand and eat some leaves. With it being dark outside it’s hard to be accurate but her famacha is at about a 4. Her temp is 101.
She is not squeaking/crying anymore. I don’t know what caused that. She still has good rumen sounds and movement but she is still only wanting to lay down.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts