More Bloat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I posted here about a friend that lost her goat BuckWheat to bloat, then my Monica started to bloat and I had to get her to the vet right then to save her.

Well I got a cal lthe other day about a goat that was down. I got over there as soon as I could. Her temp was already 91.5. I new it was to late but i tried. I did lose her. I had tubed her and I even stuck her left side with a needle to let the gas out, but it was to late.

we I just received another email. Bloat has taken 5 more goats this weekend and last week. The vets have no idea what the he** is going on. They think it is like a viral thing that is something like out stomach flu and it is killing the goats in a matter of hours of getting it.

It is so sad. If you leave your goats sand come back a hour later it could be to late.
    :(

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh - is there talk that it is only in your area or in others as well? Are they all cashmeres or a mix of breeds?

Do you feed a store grain? If so were all the others affected on grains also?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Allison, what is so weird is it has hit all types of goats. Pygmy, Cashmere Dairy and boer.

No one is feeding the same feed, (grain, hay) some are on pastures and some are mix hay and pasture.

The Vet said that it is hitting all over the place not just here and we have heard of cases all over CO and in Nebraska and Wyoming.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Good to know - thanks!!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Lori thats crazy -- and sad too :(

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well Since I posted this, we have had 9 more goats die from this bloat and a Llama.

I have told all my 4Her to keep lots of baking soda out for their goats and they have all told me that they are going through the baking soda like crazy. We buy the big bag at Sams ans Wal mart and I have gone through three of them in less then 6 months. But that is with 29 goats also. Even the babies are eating it.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow thats just crazy!

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gosh this is scary! They can't link the bloat to anything?

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Nope they can not link it to anything at all. Non of the goats are getting the same thing either. They are from all over the area and in the North part of Colorado.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.. that is a real shock.. :shocked: ..and so sad....I am so sorry..... :hug:
    I pray ...that they can figure out a cure...really soon.... :pray: