The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have read about the difficulties we had with our baby dwarf buck. Fighting to get him to drink even 2oz and almost loosing him. This went on for two weeks. Now he is running and jumping and eating a lot of hay greens. He is only 8lbs which equates to about 16oz a day but he could drink a lot more. He drinks 6oz and acts like he is starving. He is pooping and peeing more times a day than I can keep track of and most of the time his belly feels fine. Not full or hard.

My question is should I feed him more. He is nearly 7 weeks old and only 8lbs and is growing. It seems like he is trying to make up for lost time.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I would stick to how much based on his weight not age., stil over fillinghis tummy could set him off track....he should be eating more hay and nibbling on feed now..a bit of loose minerals..as long as his growth is consistant I would nt worry..he will catch up some :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is eating hay/grass regularly. He eats grains if I offer it but I am concerned about urinary infections/blockage since he is a male. The only reason I mentioned more milk is because he keeps asking. It seems like it is never enough milk for him. What a difference from 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I know..2 weeks in kid goats is a huge amount of time lol...babies will beg..borrow, plead and steal milk if we let them...lol..you can offer alfalfa pellets...that should be safe : ) just a handful if not less...as long as heis eating hay he will be fine...

·
Registered
6 Posts
What type of milk are you feeding him? If it is the powdered milk you mix with water then he will always be like that becouse it don't have enough it to keep him full. Try this.
Take a gallon of whole milk and pour half into another container and set it aside.
In the gallon jug put 1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 can of canned goats milk
and 1 cup of butter milk (not fat free)
then fill the jug up with the whole milk you set aside.
mix it up and then heat and feed.
They do alot better on this and they don't end up with the bloted belly .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are giving him a little more than 12% of his body weight he is constantly eating hay and grass and now loose minerals and yet his weight doesn't change. It fluctuates between 7 1/2 and 8 pounds. He is now 7 weeks old.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
has he been wormed for cocci and reg. worms? tape worms will stunt growth...I use valabzen on kids to get the tape as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The vet tested for worms 2 weeks ago and came back negative. His belly still feels soft after taking 4oz.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
scooch up an oz and see if hes not feeling more satified...:D you want a nice firm tummy but not pooched out...10% is a guide but we need to be careful not to over do it..if you feel he needs a bit more then add it an oz at a time and watch him careful..if he gets the run or constipated then back off some

1 - 10 of 10 Posts