The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have frozen mozzarella that I made a few months ago, compared to a mozzarella that I made today with milk from the same doe who is now in late lactation. There is significantly more cheese with the batch I made today. Does milk fat increase later in lactation? I remember maybe reading that somewhere but wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well, as humans continue lactating the fat content changes to give growing baby more calories while spending less time eating. Also, because baby gets liquid from other sources than mom, so he just needs food, not fluid. Makes sense it would be similar for all mammals....

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely. Early lactation and late lactation think of normal milk, rich in nutrients. "Condensed". Think of full lactation (peak, high production) as watered down.

Practical example:
Kids need every bit of nutrition they can wedge in as little milk as possible. They can't eat much when little. As they grow, demand grows. They also start eating other things for additional nutrition. Momma starts packing her milk into the kid to keep them full. Towards weaning, demand decreases. Kids start going on their own. Momma relaxes and slows down in production. Typically this is also time in the fall/winter naturally. Her milk provides additional nutritional punch to help the kids survive the winter.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts