More copper in mineral

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OHMYKIDS, Jun 25, 2009.

OHMYKIDS New Member

May 18, 2009
    Help, I need more copper for my goats and one option that I really don't want to do is "copper bolus" is there some granules that I can add to the mineral they have now. What are other options?

Thank you
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A good mineral to get would be a goat specific one....Hoeggars has one that was highly reccommended after my tragedy this past week :(
    Golden Blend goat mineral is the name....and it's free shipping on it as well.

Purina feeds carries one as does Southern States, which if you have an Agway store nearby, they deal with Southern States.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I had my guys on Hoeggars, Golden Blend and they did great on them and loved them! I switched to Sweetlix this last time I bought minerals because I can get them locally, but well probably go back to Golden Blend.
  4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    i use the Cargill emerald mineral from the feed store when the grass is good. When it gets hotter than blue blazes as it is now, I switch to the Cargill onyx. don't give it to the bucks cuz it may contribute to urinary calculi. Good Luck!
  5. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Hate to say it but copper boulusing is probably the best option even though it is a hassle. You need a way to measure the amount carefully and you need something that releases slowly. BO-SE should be given at the same time to help the copper absorb better.
    We use the copasure bouluses in the calf size and break them open and refill the capsules with the smaller 00,00 & 000 size capsules you can get from the health food store. We save the calf size capsules. Sometimes they work well for giving goats other medications later.
    We found through a sheep supply a metal boulusing gun with a rubber hose tip that works well. For some reason they don't make the plastics ones in the right size anymore. Don't try to put your fingers in the back of a goat's mouth.

It can be surprising that goats who sometimes show no signs of copper deficiency can be very deficient even when they have had access to free choice mineral.
    We found this out when we took bucks for collection. Had a buck who had been copper boulused 5 months before the collection and had always had free choice mineral and had no outward signs of deficiency and settled does fine by live breeding. At collection he had 80% abnormal sperm which is consistent with copper deficiency. 4 other bucks from other farms in the same area had the same abnormal sperm. One was a huge beautiful perfect-looking Boer buck. Badly twisted curled tails on the sperm.
    The other 3 bucks we had collected then were fine but had been copper boulused and given BO-SE within one month of the collection. The collector showed us how to collect the buck on our own to check the semen but I have not been brave enough to do that yet. Yucky!

It is my theory that copper deficient bucks produce a greater number of doe kids. When we copper boulused the boys just before breeding season we would always get tons of bucks and when we don't we tend to get twice as many does.

Poppy Patch Farm
  6. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I had my goats on a goat mineral from my feed store for a long time. I switched to Sweetlix several months ago and not only do I see no visible improvement in coat/condition but I don't think they looks as good. Could be the high iron content is blocking the copper absorption. I've heard this about "red" minerals.
    But of course every individual has different management practices so you'd have to look at the entire dietary program. Sweetlix may work wonders for some herds.
    Anyway, I'm searching out perhaps a cattle mineral.
  7. I read that copper bolusing also reduces internal parasites:

Copper Oxide Wire Particles

Copper sulfate was found to be effective in controlling the Barberpole worm in the early 1900's and has been used in many deworming solutions since. One drawback was that it typically required 100 cc of solution since copper sulfate is caustic and must be made up in a dilute solution. Copper oxide wire particles (COWP) were developed as a slow release form of copper to treat copper deficiency in Australia and New Zealand. One researcher working with COWP to supply copper observed a reduction in symptoms of worms in the treated animals and in 1990 some New Zealand researchers studied the effect of copper oxide wire capsules on worms. They observed that COWP were effective at removing only the Barberpole worm. Since our major worm during the summer in the Southeast U.S. is the Barberpole worm, COWP should be effective as a dewormer at this time of year. There have been a number of studies conducted in both sheep and goats in the US in recent years and there is a good summary written by ATTRA (Tools for Managing Internal Parasites in Small Ruminants: Copper Wire Particles at

COWP have been shown to be effective in goats although in three studies at one location it did not appear to be effective because the Barberpole worm was not the primary worm.. However at other locations and multiple studies, COWP was an effective dewormer in goats. Since goats are more tolerant of copper, there is less concern about repeated use of the COWP capsules than for sheep. Basically, doses of COWP from 0.5 to 2.0 g appeared useful in reducing fecal egg counts from 50-80% in goats and appeared to be more effective in kids than in adults. A recent study on pregnant goats shows promise for the use of COWP incorporated in the feed (fed only once) to reduce fecal egg counts. For details on the use of COWP as a dewormer, refer to the above ATTRA publication.