The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is how can I get my goats to make multiple kids in a birth? I have heard a lot of people say it's heir diet. Please help me I don't know very much about goats!

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
There is something called 'flushing' that some breeders do to try and cause multiple births. If the doe's body can release more eggs, than there are more kids. Here is a description of flushing.

If your does are healthy and have no mineral deficiencies, then I am sure that will help them have multiples. But some does just don't have multiples. It is genetic, I think. I have heard of does that have quads like clockwork, but others can't manage more than singles.

Btw, I think you meant per 'litter' hah. A liter (or litre) is a measure of volume, like a liter of gasoline, milk, or water.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It depends on a lot of things. Usually they have two. Sometimes up to 6! 5-6 kids are pretty uncommon.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Genetics and condition play a part as well..

Flushing is where they remove fertilized egg crop from a single doe and place them in several surrogate does to carry to term...so they get more kids from a single breeding pair ..

·
14,615 Posts
Cathy has pointed out that there are two different apps for flushing.
One is harvesting eggs, the other means feeding the doe grain prior to breeding so she will release more. ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Genetics play a big part too, but you can flush before breeding. I'm not going to flush Bee this year, after she gave me quads. :laugh:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My question is how can I get my goats to make multiple kids in a birth? I have heard a lot of people say it's heir diet. Please help me I don't know very much about goats!
How many eggs a doe releases to be fertilized generally depends on their body condition. The lower the body condition, the less eggs released. By increasing their plane of nutrition - either through a pound or so of grain a day or by higher quality hay - body condition increases and the does tend to release more eggs when they come into heat. This is called flushing. Not all does respond to flushing and I would be very careful of who I flushed. Just because a doe releases more eggs does not guarantee that she can support the resulting kids. A mediocre milker cannot support triplets or quads, and that means you can end up with a whole lot of bottle babies to feed! Just a word of caution before you jump in with both feet.

·
Registered
617 Posts
So I guess if you really increase grain amounts I think like 2 mo the before putting buck in with does,this can give you multiple kids,but what you need to think about is,can the doe handle 4kids and feed them well and have enough milk,and then there is competition between the kids to eat,usually end up pulling someone to botltle feed,or wood it be easier to have twins and let mom raise them on her own ????? I know people who have flushed and have stopped for this reason

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my goat were all first timers and there were 4 of them. They revue Ed quite a bite of grain all year around. All of them had doubles. So I don't think you should be worried about quads because that is supper rare!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
While quads are not an everyday experience, they are not as rare as a lot of people think. It just depends on the doe.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
One of my bucks came out of quads. A doe that I am getting (and breeding him to) came out of triplets. So I have a feeling there is a good chance I will get 2 babies at least on her FF... 3 wouldn't surprise me either. The bucks genetics play a huge role in it too. So I was excited to see that my buck (Finn) came out of quads when his papers arrived! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts