More Hay Questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GSFarm, Nov 10, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    This year hay has been hard to find and it's been pretty much impossible to find any good hay. We finally found some alfalfa but after we bough it we found mold in the middle and could only get a couple days worth of hay out of a $100- 1200 lb alfalfa bale, so I'm hay hunting again and have a few questions.

1. Is Soy Bean Roughage okay for goats to eat? In the ad it said it was great, but I'll have 6 does pregnant throughout the winter and want to make such it has enough nutrients for them. It's very cheap at about $30 a large roll.

2. Is Bermuda okay for goats? I've heard things about it from both sides. Is it rich like Alfalfa and need to be fed less of?

3. Is Wheat hay good for goats?

2. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Interesting post...I'll be looking forward to seeing the replies. :D

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I don't know anything about the first two, but I do know that wheat hay is only the stems and maybe a few heads so it doesn't really have any nutritional value and is only good as a filler.
  4. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Ok thanks! I had thought so but wasn't sure.
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    burmuda is a good hay - second in line to alfafa. Feed it as you would any other hay unless they arent eating all of it and then if that happends just cut back on the amount you supply to them on a daily basis.
  6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I only knew because I'd asked my boss about it yesterday and that's what she said. :oops:
  7. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Brad said: he'd take the alfalfa back to the seller, unless they said it had been wet,

1. That's okay to feed, depending on how mature it was, it can be as good as alfalfa.
    2. Okay to feed, good hay just not the protein like alfalfa.
    3. No nutrients, just a hollow stem.
  8. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I think I'll go with the Bermuda hay.
  9. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    NW Arkansas
    IF your goats will eat it Bermuda should be a good hay -they usually prefer a mixed grass type. That's such a disappointment about your alfalfa - don't know if you've tried this but one thing a lot of goat breeders are doing with the alfalfa shortage is feeding alfalfa pellets. You still need to feed some type of hay even if you use the pellets but they can be a good alternative when you need the calcium.
  10. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    I was using wheat hay as bedding this summer, and the goats gobbled it up like crazy before tramping on it. Like it's already been said, though, there's no nutritional value to it.

I'm worried about hay, too. I figured on our little guys eating 5% of their weight daily in hay, and planned accordingly. They're already going through it so fast, though! My big bale, which diminished so slowly this summer, is disappearing before my eyes.

More frustrating is that our hay is cut on shares out of our fields, and I'm really banging my head that I didn't ask for extra just in case. It also means that I'll probably have to fork over major money at Southern States for hay. Live and learn, I guess.