more help with clippers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jan 4, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I need to make plans for trimming 3 goats for a fair next summer.

I put out an earlier post and got lots of good feedback.

I checked the TSC store near me, and they have Oster Golden A5 with Chyrogenic blade ($140). They claim these run 30 % cooler. Is that the ceramic blade that was suggested that I get or is this something else?

I've used a similiar clipper before, and they did get warm but they did work. They were older, so probably just a plain steel blade. Do these newer blades make a difference, or should I look further into the Andis brand? I looked up the Andis 2 speed clippers in the Hoegger's Supply book and they look a bit smaller that the Oster. I want to get as wide as head as possible, but still be manageable.

Maybe go with the Oster and make sure I try the cooling/blade oil.??? Is that a good plan?

Any help is appreciated!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sorry, I do not clip my goats so I can not help you at all.

I am sure someone will tell you. I do believe they are really what YOU like. Make sure you google like (Wholesale clippers). You can get them a lot cheaper that way.

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Are you clipping the whole body or just the udder area and a little clean up? If doing a whole body clip I want the wides blade I have. A5 are on the narrow side to me. I HATE to clip goats I would rather do 3 sheep to one goat. Don't know about chyrogenic blade. I have lister stablemates and a older oster set. Doing three goat would be fine with the listers. We done 4 sheep and 3 goats in one day. Shelly

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The Andis 2 speed and Oster A5 clippers use the same size of blade--infact the blades are interchangeable. You can use Oster blades with the Andis clippers...or the other way around. The Andis clippers are less "bulky" than the Osters but cut the same amount of hair.

The Andis clipper run cooler and require less mantainence than the Oster clippers do...but with only three goats to clip you'd probably be happy with either one.

If you get the Osters, definitely get the coolant spray...you will need it.

5. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    To Funny River Farm,
    what do you mean by less maintenance on the Andis clippers?

Also, which Andis clippers do you recommend? I see a bunch on line.

Thanks!

6. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    If it was me, I'd go with Andis or something else. I know a lot of people have the Oster A5 and like them but I bought them last year right before a show and have not had good luck with them AT ALL. I clipped 4 goats and they were toast. I thought the blade was just dull so I put a brand new one on and no luck. They won't clip at all now. My aunt has the same clippers so I called her and she said the same thing happened with hers. I'm definitely going to shell out the money for some more expensive ones!

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'm going to sound like a broken record.. but i use the lasor laube clippers. they run about 250-300 but they don't heat fast and you can use andis, oster and other types of blades too

8. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oster A5 clippers periodically need the internal parts cleaned and greased in order to work properly...so you have to unscrew the face plate and grease the moving parts. You also have to unscrew the plastic casing (which is a pain) because, even with the little screen vents on the side, hair still gets sucked in around the motor. If you don't clean it out regularly, the clippers don't run as well and get hot faster.

With most Andis Clippers, you do not have to do any of that.

But, like I said...with only three goats to clip, even the Osters won't need much mantainence...once a year cleaning/greasing would be enough. When I was grooming 5-6 dogs and cats a day I really noticed the difference between the two brands and prefered Andis clippers because I didn't have to be fooling with them all the time and they really do stay much cooler when you're using them all day.

9. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    There is a little plastic piece that sticks up where you put the blade on called a "lever". Check the top corners/edges of that piece. If they get too rounded (and they do...fast sometimes) the clippers won't cut at all or they will cut only parts of the hair and leave "tracks" in fur.

You can buy replacement levers for $2-3...and sometimes that's all it takes to get the clippers in working order again. I have noticed that some levers wear out a lot faster than others...maybe you happened to get a "bad" one. Or maybe there is something else wrong...but this is usually the first thing I think of when I hear of A5s not clipping.