More horse racing pics

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by HoosierShadow, Oct 26, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thought I'd share some pics from the weekend. It was a nice weekend, and beautiful weather :)

Hilda's Passion won the stakes race on Saturday, she's such a pretty girl :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to the winners circle presentation on the turf course - where all graded stakes races are awarded the trophy or cup for that particular stakes race, and of course for the winners circle photo :)
    [​IMG]

Animal Kingdom, won a race on Saturday - pretty impressively too & he's a 2 year old. This was his first win, I think this was his 2nd race....
    [​IMG]

Sudden War and Julien Leparoux. Julien is one of my very favorite jockeys.
    [​IMG]

Sudden War has a BEAUTIFUL face
    [​IMG]

Track Ponies coming to lead the horses out for the next race.
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning, one of the 'big guns' took to the track for his final official workout before going to Louisville, KY for the Breeders Cup Classic, which is the richest race in the US. And he'll be racing the best of the best! Including the most famous female racehorse on the track right now....ZENYATTA <she's 19-0- hasn't lost a race in what almost 3 years? something like that...> Zenyatta won last year.

So... we'll see what this beautiful boy can do...

But first, the sunrises at the track are always so beautiful, especially this time of year.... :)
    We were down by the first turn, waiting for Blame to take to the track...
    [​IMG]

This is....

BLAME <I LOVE HIS NAME!>

I need to fix the color a bit in this pic, but I still like the 'warmth' to it :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

His stablemate <on the rail> is, Apart. He's another nice horse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bathtime...
    [​IMG]

Blame is such a poser...and I just love his beautiful face
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have sooo many more pics of him to sort through, it's easy to get 'shutter happy' with the camera with a horse who likes to pose :)

BTW, if you've ever heard of Secretariat, or seen the movie, Blame is owned by the same farm where Secretariat lived and died & is buried <he didn't race for this farm, he retired there as a stallion>. He races in the co owner's colors, but he'll no doubt take up residency in the same barn that Secretariat lived in...

2. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Yipppeeee... I swear I wait like a kid at Christmas for your horse pics!!

They are ALL SO GORGEOUS!!
    I cannot believe that you are there, watching history ride by you -in person!! I've watched the races on TV for as long as I can remember, but it's just amazing and unreal that those gorgeous, sensational horses really "live" somewhere and people can really see them in person. It's amazing to me the position you are in getting to be near them & photograph them. Makes me just darn near speechless.
    LOVE THEM ALL! Thank you so much for sharing!

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Beautiful photos. I've been watching horse racing on TVG quite a bit lately. Love to watch them run. Thanks for sharing!!

4. WOW beautiful pics!! You had some VERY beautiful scenery! I've always been a horse person but not really ever exposed to racing.
    Yes thanks for sharing!

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

You've seen Zenyatta in person haven't you? I think you posted pictures of her once.

She's the GREAT horse of our generation, I believe it.

GO ZENYATTA!

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^^Love Zenyatta. Isn't she going to race again soon? Thought it was some time in November to defend her undefeated title...I may be wrong.

7. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
  8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I just got a horse Saturday for my birthday and was wondering how do you get them to like being photographed? Danny seems to be shy when I take his picture. He tilts his ears sideways like he's board. "Awe mom.....not now. The girls are looking." He's a handsome boy but my poor attempts at catching his beauty fall short. I will keep trying though.... :greengrin: If the rain ever stops......

Gina

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Beautiful........ :thumb: :greengrin: :love:

10. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
  11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    YES! In November, she is going to try the impossible. Not only is she the only mare to have won the Breeder's Cup, she's going to attempt to join the ELITE and not only win 20 for 20, but win the Breeder's Cup a SECOND time.

This will be her last race, and win or lose, I still think she's one of the GREATS.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    ^It's going to be one to watch that's for sure!! Can't wait!

13. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Amazing photos!!!!!!!!!! I hope you make money on these, they are wonderful!! Maybe even better than being there.

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm glad you all enjoyed them :)

Yep Zenyatta will be running on Nov 5th! So mark your calendars! She will be running against the boys in the Breeders Cup Classic <possibly against 14 boys!>, and it's going to be a TOUGH race this year, I think a LOT tougher than last year. The race will be on ESPN.
    I don't have any pics of her up, wish I had something decent to share! I am going to call tomorrow and find out if churchill downs will be opening the gates to spectators for morning works. I am not credentialed at that track. I have a friend that might be able to get me in the barn area, so we'll see.... There is a major horse sale that weekend, so the morning of the Breeders Cup I am hoping to get in some pics, hopefully the grounds will be quiet, makes it easier to get the horses I want pulled out...

I have seen Zenyatta, and have pics, but like I said they aren't up. They aren't real great either. I was at the Kentucky Oaks and Derby last year and hung out in Larry Jones barn <he trained Hard Spun, and Eight Belles>. Last year he had the favorite, Friesan Fire in the derby. So anyway, Zenyatta happened to be stabled in the same barn, but they scratched her out of the race that day <sealed track and her trainer didn't like it - it was extremely wet>. So she walked the shedrow <barn aisle> I got pics of her walking, but it was dark, and she is soooo tall I was basically looking up her nose with my camera LOL. What was so cute was the fact that Friesan Fire was in LOVE with her. Every time she walked by his stall he stuck his head out and was all eyes for her, the minute she was out of sight he was back in his stall...then out went the head when she'd come around again, it was really cute!

Gina - CONGRATS on your horse! I am jealous I want a horse sooooo bad! We just don't have the acreage for one :( Do you have someone that could hold him on a lead rope? It's the best way to get their attention, and away from grass so they aren't fighting to get their head down. You can click at him, making noises like a dog barking, horse whinnying, or if he is a sucker for peppermints, you can crinkle a peppermint wrapper in your hand <this works on racehorses - their favorite treats are peppermints>. Some people have ringtones on their phones that are whacky but not scary, and they will sound off their phone to get a horse's attention. Of course your goal with all of this is to get both ears pricked forward :) Stand in front so they can see the camera, but not too close, and verticle shots are the best <turn your camera sideways>.

If he's not used to the camera, it can freak him out especially if it's noisy and ALWAYS make sure the sun is behind you so your flash doesn't try to go off. If you are using a regular camera with auto settings, any kind of 'darkness' will get the flash to want to fire, and you don't want that. I NEVER use a flash on horses, ever. Period. I sure wish I lived closer to you I'd come over and get pics! Taking pics of horses is my very favorite thing to do :)

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I hate you because you've seen the Queen in person.

Not really, but I'm green with envy!!

Do you sell your photos..? If you got a really good one of Zenyatta running or even standing...

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Here is a link to Zenyatta's Breeders Cup Classic win last year:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_XPH6Eix4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_XPH6Eix4[/ame]

IMO she is up against much tougher horses this year. She's going against Gio Ponti again, as well as Quality Road, Blame, Lookin At Lucky, Musket Man, and the others are a decent group too, plus the horse from Japan, Espoir City.

Quality Road is one to be reckoned with, he's not a super horse, but he is on a good day! he was supposed to run in the Breeders Cup last year and totally freaked out in the gate. It was bad, and he had to be scratched. It was so bad, they ended up vanning him back from California to the east coast so they didn't traumatize him anymore. He has grown up a lot since then.
    Here's a video <even Zenyatta was shying away from the gate!>. It's an intense video, but nobody gets hurt, just very scary how he freaked out.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGfrr8CFuIw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGfrr8CFuIw[/ame]

No one really knows what set Quality Road off that day, could be all the people, the helicopters, anything.... It's common for horses to freak out at the gate, but usually they calm down, and I've never seen the blind fold not work...until this. BUT their mistake was putting it on where it wouldn't fall off if he freaked out. If that one gate worker had not grabbed him....OMG....
    I think he's going to do a lot better this time around. He has one loss this year, and is in the bid for Horse of the Year. The Breeders Cup WILL determine that title for the eclipse awards. And.... Zenyatta's people WANT her to be HORSE OF THE YEAR.

Okay I could go on and on...heh..

Wait one more.... just because it's late and I am trying to take a break from editing LOL

Blame <the horse I pictured in my first post> beat Quality Road this summer...very very exciting finish !
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J47rVD-O68&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J47rVD- ... re=related[/ame]

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL! You know I should dig up those pics, bad or not just too share :)

If I can get over to the track one morning after she gets here, then I'll get some pictures of her. I need to find out what day they plan to ship her, I am hoping this weekend.
    I live about an hour from Churchill Downs. Keeping my fingers crossed that the grandstand side is at least open for morning works the week before the BC - it is before the Kentucky Derby..... That or my friend getting me in on the backside would be like....totally totally awesome.

I do sell pics, usually start selling them right after the first few days of the November sale, and I sale them for about a month, otherwise people can request prints. I usually put stuff up on ebay, and do 4x6 photo albums with 100 pics from the past year or so. I'm just trying to get organized enough to get started.

There are several Breeders Cup horses mostly fillies/mares going into the Fasig Tipton November sale on Nov 6th. I love the fall sales..

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It's going to be a GREAT race, no doubt about it.

I'd love to see Zenyatta win it and make history, but if she doesn't, well that's fine. As long as she finishes sound. She'll forever be a great mare regardless.

19. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Amazing photos. Those horses are magnificent creatures.........WOW......

20. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks for the tips! I will hopefully get to see him Saturday. He's a big buckskin dunn QH. I hope he likes his "new" job. When he heals, (surgery Monday) and my train works with him he will be my ride in our Wild West shows. I can't wait!

Gina