More Kids

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sauncy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    My other doe kidded about 6a.m. this morning also ----Whew!!!! All night in the barn. I'll send pics soon. Momma is doing fine. Gave the kids nutradrench, Vit.B/E, Sel, but they seem to still be a little weak. They have been nursing some when I put them near mamas teats. They are trembling some though when they are sleeping-it is 70 degrees so they shouldn't be cold. Yes, I am a nervous mom. Any ideas why they may trembling. The other two that were born earlier and mom are doing great. Now I am worried about the latest two. I cannot believe that both does kidded within hours of each other (their first kids).

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they still might be a little wet and are just a little cold, what I do, is put a heat lamp on them anyway...it helps them thoroughly dry a bit faster ...shivering is normal just after birth ...there bodies are trying to adjust to the new world, mom womb is alot warmer than 70 degree's. :wink: they should be OK....sounds like you are doing a good job with what you have given them.... :greengrin:

3. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Thanks Pam. Do you think that they should be still be trembling (it is 3p.m. now) - They were born around 6a.m.? They are all dry - they seem to tremble more when they are sleeping. We will try the heat lamp also. Thanks again.

Thanks again,
    Nancy

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations on the babies.

Something you could do is make them little coats. I get a old sweatshirt, cut the sleeve off and I put their hear where you would have you hand and cut two little holes for their front legs. It is amazing how much it helps.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Ok I did not see that it is 70 degrees there. I would make sure they are nursing and have a full tummy, that will warm them up the best. Did you treat there belly buttons? Did you give mom some warm or cool whatever she would like molasses water?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    congrats - can't wait for the pictures~~

6. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Thanks everyone. Yes, we treated their belly buttons and gave momma warm mol. water. They are inside a heated building that maintains temp. of 60+. They seem to be getting a little better. They are just weak for some reason. We keep getting them up to nurse about every hour or so.

Thanks again. I will send some pics as soon as I can re-format them. Hopfully we will get a little sleep tonight.
    :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome....try a little coat like sweetgoats....mentioned,.... plus check to see if they have full tummies......keep a eye on them and keep doing what you are doing....give them a little nutradrench daily until they get a little stronger, it will help with vitamins and help appetite...
    Put a heat lamp on for them also... until they are stronger...especially at night....good luck :greengrin: :wink:

8. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    :ZZZ: Finally got some rest after 2 days. Thanks for the sugggestions. We have some small dog jackets from Walmart (they work great)that we use when it is really cold We are still on close watch with all 4 kids. Up at 1:30am to get everyone nursing and warm water to the does. We have them in a warm room at about 65 degrees so that helps all (including me :) ) The 2 kids we are really worried about and didn't really expect to be alive are hanging in there. Their Mom is our sweetest Doe and they will hopefully make it and have her temperment. Her bag is so tight that I have been worried that they aren't getting enough milk. I have been massaging her bag just before I get them moving and sometimes when they are nursing. She doesn't have full big teats like my other doe, but plenty of milk in the teat close to the udder. Do any of you milk your does out? I am afraid to milk her out and loose colostrum, but actually I haven't seen the thick colostrum from her, just milk. I know she has plenty of milk but not sure if they are getting it. Oh well here is a picture and I will send another on the next post. (Do you guys use a photo service to post pictures or or do you always resize) I have been inserting as an attachment. Kind of a pain to resize etc.

9. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
  10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww...too CUTE! And yes, by all means MILK her! lol She sounds very full and tight, milk production is supply and demand, watever is taken will be replaced. Get her soft enough so the kids can latch on easily....it may be only a cup ful from each side but she will definately be more comfortable!

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Awwwwwww LOVE those spots!!!

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    So CUTE! I love spots. :greengrin: I have to say though that I thought you stole Lyrae for a minute. In that first picture it looked a lot like her. :oops: I think I missed it, are they boys or girls or one of each?

13. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Very cute. Congrats
    Suellen

14. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Between the 2 does we had 4 doelings :leap: . We are making progress and hope they will all make it through. Thanks for the milking advice. I will milk her. These are our first kids with the Nubains as we had Boer kids last year but no milking. LOL they weren't into it. Here is a picture of all three. It was kind of a weird angle (I didn't want to disturb them)

Nancy

15. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
  16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as I said on the other thread -- such an adorable picture.

Yes I would milk mom out a bit so that it is easier for the kids to latch on and she isnt so sore.

I would give each a couple ccs of Nutri Drench.

17. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    THis is Harmony's teats and why I asked if I should milk her. I milked her and got 32 oz. SHe is a first freshener. She let me milk her with no problems or kicking. I am sure she feels better. I also milked Hayley and got 32 oz. She is a first freshener. There was still plenty of milk in both does. The kids jumped on while I was milking so I know there is plenty of creamy white milk for them.

18. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Harmony again

19. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    I gave the kids all Nutri Drench and they seem to be doing pretty good.

20. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I love that last picture of all three. *grabs doeling and runs*

lol