more newbie questions?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 4, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....first question......at what temp is it too cold to let my goats outside? We are getting into the teens some nights, mainly staying in 20's to 30's daytime and they do not seem to mind going outside at those temps even with a little snow on the ground, but I don't want to be ignorant and let them out at temps that they should not be out in.....they are so frisky first thing in the morning when it is the coldest.....as soon as I open the barn door they run out into their yard and jump and buck and climb all over their rock pile.

second question......they are both pygmy wethers and when I first got them it was suggested to add ammonia chloride to their minerals which I did and my vet agreed, but I have noticed that they do not go to their mineral bowl as much since the weather changed......sooo should I put some in their small bit of ration that they get every day? I watch them every day to make sure that they are urinating.

third question......how common is it for them to get worms in the winter.....my vet said to worm them 3-4 times a year.....I keep check of their eye lids and gums.....if they don't have signs of having worms should I go ahead and worm them anyway?

forth and final.....the man we bought them from had a pretty good size herd and he had big boulders brought in for the goats to climb on....he said he never has to trim hooves with having the rocks.......so my husband and a friend went out with a front in loader and brought some in for our goats......they love them and climb and jump on them all the time......is it true that them climbing on the rocks will keep their hooves from over growth?...they are about 7 months old and I have yet to trim their hooves, I check them often and they look fine....I had the vet trim what he could when he nuetered them last month, but he said they were not really bad at all.

We bought these little guys just for pets and really had no idea what we were doing, but I am a firm believer in if your going to have animals than take the best care of them, so I read all I can about the care of them. I have to say that in the short 3 months that we have had them, they have won our hearts......they have to be the most loving, entertaining guys.....I find it hard to get anything done because I find myself out in the barn with them just playing....they love it when I'm out in the yard with them and I run and let them chase me. They also love for me to sit on the barn floor and love taking off my stocking hat and gloves and climb all over me.
    Sorry for all the questions......just want as much info as I can get on the care of my guys.
    Thanks for any input and Happy Holidays to you all! Denise

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Normally goats do not mind the cold and can adjust to lower temps easily. Main thing is to shelter them from the rain but they should be fine other than that. Our goats are anyways. :)

The way I view minerals (and I think a lot do) is that they take some if they need it and if they don't need it, they leave it alone.

If you are in doubt and think they have worms, then I'd get a fecal run on them. But we do not deworm unless we think they have worms or a fecal shows they need it.

It is good to trim hooves or at least check them every other month (as you do). Trim off the little part that grows and folds over. But the rocks should make your job of trimming so much easier! I love our concrete sidewalks in the goat yard. So helpful! :D

I think that it is so great that you are doing all the research possible. You sound like an excellent "goat mom"!! I only wish all of the people who buy goats from us were like you. :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nice to see you again Denise! Your boys sound like they have totally taken you to "their side"..lol

If you want to you can add a teaspoon of AC to their feed 1x a day...as far as wormings go, in the wet of Spring and mid Fall is when parasites are prevalant...I do worm as needed but mainly in spring and fall....or if I see pale eyelids, I do take fecals to the vet 1x a year..just to make sure I'm treating for the worms I need to...in my case, barberpole seem to be the only ones that have shown up...never caused a problem though. Hoof trimmings though, I do every 8-10 weeks, some of my kids need it and some don't, I still make it a habit to check though and being handled in that manner makes it easier for when they do need them trimmed....Cold weather is a personal thing I think, super cold nights/days like in the teens or single digits my goats are shut in, When the sun is out and the weather is in the 20's and 30's they have the option of going out at will, but most times when it's cloudy they choose to stay in.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    about temps: my goats have 24/7 access to the outside, they are outside playing at 10F , they usually stay inside when it drops below 0.

Agree about minerals, they wouldnt eat it if was in their ration because it would fall to the bottom.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You don't live far from me--my goats have the option of going in and out as the please. Getting too cold usually isn't an issue with goats unless there is some other health problem they're having...or if they're just little babies. Your goaties are plenty old enough to regulate their body temps though. Just make sure they have plenty of hay to munch on and a soft bed and they'll be fine.

I agree with everyone else in regard to worming--I only do it if I know worms are a problem.

As far as the minerals go--if they need them, they'll eat them. If you add them to the food, they will just fall to the bottom and the goats will eat around them if they don't want them. I know my goats only like their minerals "fresh". They won't touch them if they've been in the feeder for more than a week or so. I usually only put out as much as they usually consume in that time.

And, yes, having the rocks for your goats to climb on will definitely help keep their hooves worn down. I can't say that you'll never have to trim them, but it will cut down on the trimming you have to do.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all for your input......I always feel so much better after getting advice from seasoned goat parents!
    Denise

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We just straw up their barn really good and they seem to do fine. I couldn't really see bringing a herd of Saanens, LaManchas, and goat kids into the house :) .

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hello!!

Sounds like you got your questions answered - but wanted to say hi and welcome to the TGS family. You have officially been won over by your goaties!